PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best writer alive today?

Red Medicine
10-07-2006, 02:18 PM
I've got to go with Don DeLillo. His style is just so edgy, witty, and poetic all at once that I'm immediately drawn into his themes, which range from the privacy of the home life to cults and worlwide conspiracies. Martin Amis said of him that he's "an exemplary post-modernist. . . . He writes about the new reality - realistically. His fiction is public. His dramatis personae are icons and headliners: politicians, assassins, conspirators, cultists. His society has two classes: those who shape the modern mind, and those whose minds are duly shaped."

Libra is essential reading. Check that one out first, then read Mao II, White Noise, and Running Dog. NFL fans would do well to read End Zone, which sets up links between the football mentality and the Cold War.

Anchors
10-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Salman Rushdie.

Red Medicine
10-07-2006, 03:10 PM
I give credit to R.L. Stine for rewriting the same book over a hundred times, and still managing to sell millions upon millions of copies of it.

He recently tried his hand at "adult fiction." I assume it must suck.

lokithelion
10-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Anchors
Salman Rushdie.

Neil Giamen or however you spell it

JimmysTangoMethod
10-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Right now I'm hooked on Tom Wolfe (bonfire of the vanities, the electric kool-aid acid test, a man in full)

Great social observist.

ModernDrunk
10-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Pychon is a great read, as long as you accept being confused as a natural state-of-mind.

He has a new one coming out this fall.

Someone was pimping David Foster Wallace pretty hard, but I have yet to read anything by him.

ConzoTheLegacy
10-07-2006, 05:14 PM
J.K. Rowling. Seriously, those Harry Potter books are good.

stayouttamalibu
10-07-2006, 05:30 PM
dean koontz.

HaveFunDying
10-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I think Vonnegut is still alive and kickin'. I don't know if he's actively writing though.

musical-monkey
10-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
I think Vonnegut is still alive and kickin'. I don't know if he's actively writing though.

he just released a new book (or maybe it was a collection of essays) a couple of months back

brandon-punkrocks
10-07-2006, 05:48 PM
i wouldn't say he's the best writer alive, but i really liked what i've read of jonathan safran foer.

i also think j.k rowling is incredible.

nick hornby writes good stories.

i don't read nearly as much as i should anymore.

MikeM
10-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Vonnegut is still alive so he wins, although he's not too active anymore (A Man Without a Country came out two years ago I think).
JK Rowling is admittedly pretty good. I'd also add Toni Morrison and Haruki Murakami.

bob_loblaw
10-07-2006, 06:20 PM
The Satanic Verses is a confusing read, I couldn't get through it. One of my favorite memories is the time one of my best friends told me that the last book he actually read all the way through was "The Haunted Mask 2" by RL Stine, which was his freshman year in high school, and we are now seniors in college.

JimmysTangoMethod
10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by MikeM
Vonnegut is still alive so he wins

Dude Beer
10-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Louis Sachar.

Maybe Dave Eggers, however cliche.

jordan pastepunk
10-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Norman Mailer gets my vote.

HaveFunDying
10-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Ian
Louis Sachar.

Man, those sideways stories from wayside school books were incredible.

i get rad
10-07-2006, 07:39 PM
richard

Red Medicine
10-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ModernDrunk Someone was pimping David Foster Wallace pretty hard, but I have yet to read anything by him.

Eh, I wouldn't bother with him. His style is very dry and "bureaucratic" (in that he values complex technical words over nice poetic language; it's not interesting to read in the least). Oh, and he is seriously the most long-winded writer in the world today. Here's a word-for-word example (taken from his anthology Oblivion, which I made the mistake of buying):

"These particular areas, Dr. Paphian averred between several sudden, conspicuous, screaming or 'shrieking' sounds from a 'power' saw or router somewhere down the corridor (there was also the ambient smell of freshly cut wood, as well as industrial plastic, in addition to the Hispanic's pungent cologne and Hope's customary brand of 'JOY'), pointing out with the salacious technician's handheld pointer distinctive spikes or 'nodes' in the erratic line of Hope's 'brain' waves, indicated - to (as it, so to speak, 'goes,' quite obviously, 'without saying') both of our further surprise - that not merely myself but Hope, as well, had herself evidently also been verifiably or empirically asleep during the recorded periods when she allegedly 'heard' my 'snoring' (while, in addition or concurrently, due possibly either to extreme fatigue or adrenaline, I myself was also experiencing at the same time a radically compressed or seemingly accelerated sensuous mnemonic tableau [or, as it were, interior 'clip'] of my memories of teaching Audrey to operate 'her' [although registered, for insurance purposes, in Dr. and Mrs. Sipe's legal name] new Mazda coupe's five speed 'stick' transmission in a Lower Squankum parking lot filled with myriad parallel angled lines, Audrey's fulgent auburn hair untied or 'down' and chewing some type of bright blue gum, the compartment awash in sunlgiht and her yearly Christmas saffron bath gel's scent, the noisome sound of her breathing and shapes of her leg as she worked the relevant pedals up and down, the sotto voce profanities when we lugged, bucked or stalled with soft squeals and bit lip and - ["Do Stop"] - and thus, in the renewed, brief, 'stunned' silence after the M.D.'s second diagnosis, I myself forgot to feel triumph, 'vindication' or even any confusion at the apparent or paradoxical sleep 'verdict's'' reversal.)"

So, um, yeah, you get the idea. I'd say this is one of his medium-sized sentences...

bob_loblaw
10-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Speaking of long winded...^^^