PDA

View Full Version : Tower Records Liquidation

monsterriffs
10-07-2006, 11:36 AM
As bummed I am that Tower is going out of business, I plan on taking full advantage of the sales that are starting today. I'll report back with what I find.

ModernDrunk
10-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by bethesdacore
As bummed I am that Tower is going out of business, I plan on taking full advantage of the sales that are starting today. I'll report back with what I find.

Now I have something to do today.

jordan pastepunk
10-07-2006, 12:48 PM
The word from Alex thus far is that the sale is disappointing w/ only 10% off of CD prices. If you live in DC, that means there's no sale tax. Kinda sad isn't it?

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
10-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by jordan pastepunk
The word from Alex thus far is that the sale is disappointing w/ only 10% off of CD prices. If you live in DC, that means there's no sale tax. Kinda sad isn't it?

I'm sure as time goes on, the percentage off will drop significantly. When Media Play went out of business last year, it was the same thing for them: First 10%, then 20%, 30%, 40%, each successive week or so. They just want to get rid of everything.

jordan pastepunk
10-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Yep, I figured as much Scott. I'm holding out for the final moments of sale where there will be nothing but excess Paris Hilton and Hawthorne Heights CDs. Yes!

BizzleBrizzle
10-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Yo dude, is this is Bethesda? How can I get to this Tower Records via public transit?

monsterriffs
10-07-2006, 03:45 PM
the tower is actually in Rockville...you'd have to go to the twinbrook station. i think you're better off hitting up the one at 2000 Penn in DC which is at Foggy Bottom.

sethprogression
10-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm bummed. Tower Records was where I bought my first punk CDs Minor Threat "Discography" and NOFX "Punk in Drublic."

Double bummed because I have no money to take advantage of the sale.

ModernDrunk
10-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah, 10% off can lick my sweat-sack.

I bought Suffer at Tower records in Hollywood on a family vacation about 12 years ago.

crippledmark
10-07-2006, 04:37 PM
At 30% off Tower's prices will only be coming in line with Best Buy.

jordan pastepunk
10-07-2006, 04:40 PM
The amount of sentimental value I have in Tower is more than I can ever describe. Without their always plentiful zine section, I have to believe my life would have turned out to be a lot different.

BizzleBrizzle
10-07-2006, 05:08 PM
So all Towers are having this?

Fuzzy
10-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Tower is interesting to me, because out here they are super tiny stores that look and feel like a mom and pop record store, not the huge deals they are on the east coast.

Dude Beer
10-07-2006, 07:56 PM
I went to one earlier today, and they only have the 10% off here in MA right now too; but the ones up here don't sell vinyl...I did get a decemberist's EP that I never new existed called The Tain or something. Havent' listened to it though.

musical-monkey
10-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Ian
I went to one earlier today, and they only have the 10% off here in MA right now too; but the ones up here don't sell vinyl...I did get a decemberist's EP that I never new existed called The Tain or something. Havent' listened to it though.

it's really good, 18 minutes long, one song. go to teh virgin megastore on the corner of newbury street/mass ave. they are closing and right now it's 30% off all cds/dvds but it will be at 50% in before it closes november 4th. it was packed today so everything will probably be gone, but i've gotten some good stuff. i really hope the freaks and geeks dvd set is there when everything is 50%

Dude Beer
10-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by musical-monkey
it's really good, 18 minutes long, one song. go to teh virgin megastore on the corner of newbury street/mass ave. they are closing and right now it's 30% off all cds/dvds but it will be at 50% in before it closes november 4th. it was packed today so everything will probably be gone, but i've gotten some good stuff. i really hope the freaks and geeks dvd set is there when everything is 50%

Ok cool thanks. I'll check that out later today. I still don't know my way around very well, as I've mostly been hanging around newton/brighton/watertown.

BizzleBrizzle
10-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Picked up:

Ride - Going Blank Again

and

Define The Meaning Fanzine Issue 2

Bethesdacore, does the one in Rockville have vinyl? And does it have good vinyl?

monsterriffs
10-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by BizzleBrizzle
Picked up:

Ride - Going Blank Again

and

Define The Meaning Fanzine Issue 2

Bethesdacore, does the one in Rockville have vinyl? And does it have good vinyl?

i don't think so...i think most of the Towers in the area stopped carrying vinyl a while ago.

Fuzzy
10-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Steveo from 1234 Go! posted this Myspace thang today. I think it's kind of interesting, because I never saw Tower as the bastion of independent music until I moved out west, I just thought they were another huge mega-store.
...So theres a lot of talk about how terrible it is that Tower is going out of business. To me? Ding Dong the witch is dead! I mean I'm really sorry that 3000+ are losing their jobs. That is really shitty. However being someone who has worked in an independent record store, asking me to feel too sorry is like asking a gazelle to be bummed out that one of the lions died. I mean it wasn't the whole pride but at least theres one down, you know? Also I don't see this as some great harbinger of the total death and destruction of the record store. Tower was a behometh that lost it's direction and tried to compete in the cut throat game the big boxes are playing. If you don't know your target audience, you don't know your community and you try to play the loss leader game you're going to lose. Places like Best Buy practically give away CD's because they want you to come in and buy a CD player or a TV too. It's just a way of getting you in the door. A place that only sells records...isn't going to make it trying to play the same game. Just isn't going to happen. You have to specialize. You have to have something that they don't. Like selection and personality. Both of which Tower used to have a million years ago but gave up on to varrying degrees. And I'm tired of everyone blaming the internet. For one, if you can't beat them, join them. And if you try to join and it doesn't work...figure out why and make changes. Don't just chug along and hope it'll get better. The "industry" might be down 25% but there's still a shit ton of money being made. You just have to adapt to make sure you're included. I have no sympathy for people who don't see that. You can whine all you want about how that confounded internet machine done broke your business but that's just a cop out old man.

Now that Tower shut down it's your time to strike. People still want to buy records out there america. If you love music...start your own store if you can. Pay attention to what's happening musically in your town and cater to people. Don't be some "we got a little bit of everything but nothing of any real substance in anything" sort of store. Get out there and focus on what you love and provide it for like minded people. If you can't find a store. Support someone who does. Tower's loss could be a huge victory for the independent business. Stake that claim hoss. Let's take it back.

mammothsean
10-10-2006, 10:57 AM
20% off books... later this week I am going to hit the Tower Records' Tower Video (on the other side of sunset for you LA/Hollywood people) I wonder what kind of deals that have with DVDs and stuff...

All I know is, once stuff gets to be like 30% off... Kevin Wade and I will stock up on TV on DVD