PDA

View Full Version : MUP: I need help

musical-monkey
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
So I have a dilemma. When I come home for Thanksgiving break, I have a tough choice of shows to attend on November 24th. Do I go see Converge/Some Girls/Modern Life is War/Gospel OR The Hold Steady at Maxwells (small bar place, pretty small place for the band to play). I've seen Converge 3 times and MLIW twice and seeing gospel with them would be pretty fucking awesome, but I don't know if I can miss The Holdy Steady at such a small place (and I will be seeing them once in October).

Also I am seeing Texas is the Reason at least once so that weekend rules regardless.

Help!

ebullientsoul
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
who is the hold steady?

ConzoTheLegacy
10-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ebullientsoul
who is the hold steady?

Fuzzy
10-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Do you guys not even read the board?

Christopher
10-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy

no shit, man.

ModernDrunk
10-05-2006, 09:18 PM
HOLD FUCKIN' STEADY MAN!!!

Took me a few listens but the new cd is slammin'. "Chips Ahoy" is a real hot jam.

lokithelion
10-05-2006, 09:18 PM
See the Hold Steady, they are srlys one of the most fun shows you'll see all year.

kirbypuckett
10-05-2006, 09:38 PM
The Hold Steady

i get rad
10-05-2006, 10:27 PM
holdsteady for sure

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
The Hold Steady. Anyone telling you otherwise doesn't like music.

Barry
10-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Probably one of the top 5 records to come out all year.

infinityplus2
10-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Can anyone direct me to where The Hold Steady has been discussed here? I know nothing about them, I just noticed they've been featured on the Myspace login page lately.

ConzoTheLegacy
10-06-2006, 06:19 AM

Well, I've heard of them, just never heard them.

ebullientsoul
10-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
Well, I've heard of them, just never heard them.

crippledmark
10-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Can someone please try to explain why The Hold Steady is the new hip shit band? I've listened to the album a few times and all I hear is a sports bar rock band doing Art Brut covers.

On a sidenote, I'm surprised that with all the attention releases like The Holdsteady and the French Kicks are getting, the majority of the Vagrant site is still based around the Warped Tour scene. The splash pages, the ecard popups, everything. You'd figure that they would want to wholly embrace their new direction.

lokithelion
10-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I've dug those dudes since Lifter Puller. They just put out a new album so people are talking about them more. And its because they're awesome and Springsteen hasn't put up a E Street Band record in awhile.

Anchors
10-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Richard
Cutting edge satire.

MikeM
10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by iwilltotallyfuckyouup
The Hold Steady. Anyone telling you otherwise doesn't like music.
If you're still in Boston, they're playing the Middle East on the 30th. I know I'll be there!
And I'm glad this is the new hip band to like, because they actually live up to the hype, three fantastic albums in three years is quite impressive. Boys and Girls is looking to be my #1 or 2 of the year.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
10-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by MikeM
If you're still in Boston, they're playing the Middle East on the 30th. I know I'll be there!

I've never been to Boston in my life.

musical-monkey
10-06-2006, 09:58 AM
And I'm glad this is the new hip band to like, because they actually live up to the hype, three fantastic albums in three years is quite impressive. Boys and Girls is looking to be my #1 or 2 of the year.

yeah i just picked up tickets to the show. i am excited.

AND the lawrence arms are playing htere on november 6th and i am SO FUCKING EXCITED since i always miss them live.

MikeM
10-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by iwilltotallyfuckyouup
I've never been to Boston in my life.
Didn't mean you, I was just agreeing that if anyone says otherwise they don't like music.

I am so goddamn excited for that Larry Arms show. Upstairs Middle East, which means tiny venue, 18+, beer, and they finally get to headline. AND Chuck Ragan!

Dude Beer
10-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Boston dudes, I'm retarded. Someone needs to fill me in on shows. The only tickets I have for the rest of the fall is deathcab, because some girl i'm trying to mack is in love with ben gibbard, not that I blame her.

musical-monkey
10-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ian
Boston dudes, I'm retarded. Someone needs to fill me in on shows. The only tickets I have for the rest of the fall is deathcab, because some girl i'm trying to mack is in love with ben gibbard, not that I blame her.

Venues to check out:
Middle East
Paradise Rock Club
Axis
Avalon

also, my friend and i keep a list of upcoming boston shows (freewebs.com/showgoers).

Dude Beer
10-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by musical-monkey
Venues to check out:
Middle East
Paradise Rock Club
Axis
Avalon

also, my friend and i keep a list of upcoming boston shows (freewebs.com/showgoers).

Ok thanks for the info.

I'm actually "working" the info desk at the law library listening to the new Hold Steady junx in my headphones. I wonder how drunk he really was when he recorded the vocals for this "citris" song.

Fuzzy
10-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Didn't mean you, I was just agreeing that if anyone says otherwise they don't like music.

I am so goddamn excited for that Larry Arms show. Upstairs Middle East, which means tiny venue, 18+, beer, and they finally get to headline. AND Chuck Ragan! First time I saw the Arms was them with None More Black at TT The Bear's So fucking good. The place was so empty except for me, this dude who was also skipping our work training for our new job and like...18 other people. Amazing time.

MikeM
10-06-2006, 10:43 PM
First time I saw the Arms was them with None More Black at TT The Bear's So fucking good. The place was so empty except for me, this dude who was also skipping our work training for our new job and like...18 other people. Amazing time.
I know dude, I was there. If only I had known!

i get rad
10-07-2006, 12:24 AM
First time I saw the Arms was them with None More Black at TT The Bear's So fucking good.

first time i saw the arms was with ...get this... yellowcard and the starting line!!!

el oh el zeez

Fuzzy
10-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I know dude, I was there. If only I had known! I forgot that you were there. How small this world is!

Red Medicine
10-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Is Vagrant really associated with the RIAA? I was under the impression that they were an indie.

Fuzzy
10-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Red Medicine
Is Vagrant really associated with the RIAA? I was under the impression that they were an indie. 50 percent non controlling interest by interscope/whoeverinterscopebecameinoneofthegreatmajormashups .

ConzoTheLegacy
10-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by i get rad
first time i saw the arms was with ...get this... yellowcard and the starting line!!!

el oh el zeez

Are you serious?

Dude Beer
10-08-2006, 11:18 AM
hold steady live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT1fxhnaN-8