PDA

View Full Version : CD Packaging (Promos) Question

crippledmark
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Considering that the majority of people that actively post on this board work for a webzine/magazine, what is your take on promo CDs being sent to you sans CD case? All the contents would still be there, but they would be in a plastic or paper sleeve. Does it make you less willing to check stuff out or does it just make it easier for it to be lost in the shuffle?

Postage isn't getting any cheaper any time soon and not sending the case can easily knock down half the price of mailing out promos.

Anchors
10-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I personally don't mind this at all. If the all the art is included, and all I have to do is put it in a case, that's fine with me. You can buy those things in bulk so cheaply.

What bothers me is a band who send out just the CD in a full case. No tracklist, no art, no nothing. I am immediately inclined at that point to not like the record unless somehow proven otherwise.

lokithelion
10-04-2006, 02:16 PM
all I hate is when they send it lose with no sleave at all (a major pain in the ass) or like East/West and Nitro are fond of doing just a cd in a case with the track listing. This is hell with metal records. Lyrics are fucking important I'd like to read the damn things.

BARONE
10-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I prefer getting the case because it saves me the trouble of tracking down a case to put it in if I end up liking it.

Christopher
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I throw the cases out, and put the artwork along with the CD in a binder.

jordan pastepunk
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
As long as its the entire artwork, I'm fine with it. I bought a package of 500 sleeves from Staples a couple of years ago for like $10. It took care of the problem of just getting the CD and art loose.

The items I'm least likely to review are incomplete releaes from bands I haven't heard of before. If you're looking to catch a reviewers attention and aren't on a well-known label, you better send a complete retail copy!

Anchors
10-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jordan pastepunk
If you're looking to catch a reviewers attention and aren't on a well-known label, you better send a complete retail copy!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This irritates me to no end. If you can't take the time to send me a copy with full artwork and something about your band, what the hell makes you think I'm going to take the time to review it?

musical-monkey
10-04-2006, 02:32 PM
so what do you guys think of what Matador is going to do? they are going to just email the files with the artwork to reviewers in order to cut down on costs.

jordan pastepunk
10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
This came up on Indiehq.com

Adam ['Org] wrote a very eloquent response which I mostly agreed with:

http://indiehq.com/2006/10/02/no-more-mailed-promos-from-matador-hypebot/#comments

CoreyPastepunk
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by XxBloodRedXx
I prefer getting the case because it saves me the trouble of tracking down a case to put it in if I end up liking it.

I agree with Adam, although I don't really mind getting full artwork copies in a sleeve. Some albums simply look a lot better when presented in a jewel case (I always go back to the MLIW album that came in a sleeve, but looks amazing in a jewel case) so I'll take the time to put it into a spare one. In the end, if you send w/ jewel case it is easier to locate in a huge stack of albums because the name is clearly visible from the side whereas a cd in a sleeve gets buried.

With that said, I'll never turn down a free album...

crippledmark
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by musical-monkey
so what do you guys think of what Matador is going to do? they are going to just email the files with the artwork to reviewers in order to cut down on costs.

They are Matador, they can do whatever they hell they want and know that they'll still get coverage.

kirbypuckett
10-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah, Adam stole the words from my keyboard on that little rant.

When I would review records that I really enjoyed and they were awful Epitaph promos or CD-Rs I would get really upset. Because I am lending my time, which I have very little of, and I have nothing important to show for it.

I get a paycheck for my job and I enjoy getting an actual record for my review.

Fuzzy
10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Aside from what's already been mentioned:
Handwritten notes referencing Punknews.org and why they think _I_ might like it. I have no clue why 800,000 drunk punk bands from fucking England think I'm the person to review their CDs. I'd love to hear an explanation.

Full retail is nice, although I am odd kind of music nerd who likes either having vinyl or digital. I'm "over" CDs for the most part. I know I'm in the minority here.

chunk
10-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by kirbypuckett
Yeah, Adam stole the words from my keyboard on that little rant.

When I would review records that I really enjoyed and they were awful Epitaph promos or CD-Rs I would get really upset. Because I am lending my time, which I have very little of, and I have nothing important to show for it.

I get a paycheck for my job and I enjoy getting an actual record for my review.

I think it's interesting that Epitaph will send you the record two or three times. I don't understand why they're sending a cd-r in a sleeve, followed by another, then an actual promo with art in jewel case a little later.

Oh well.

Fuzzy
10-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by chunk
I think it's interesting that Epitaph will send you the record two or three times. I don't understand why they're sending a cd-r in a sleeve, followed by another, then an actual promo with art in jewel case a little later.

Oh well. Try being on three publicists mailing lists.

Anyone want 8 copies of the Matches?

chunk
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
Try being on three publicists mailing lists.

On that note, anyone want three more copies of the Matches?

InaGreendase
10-04-2006, 08:32 PM
This local ska-punk from Rhode Island sent me NINE brand new, sealed copies of their full-length the other day -- with their one-sheet Scotch-taped to every copy. Now that's a fucking way to get your CD reviewed.

Originally posted by musical-monkey

Lame as shit. Adam is dead on.

Oh well.

It''s because the label has the master but not the actual pressings of the album. It's way more convenient for a webzine/publication to have an album that early because they can plan for the review easier. Plus if the person receiving the CD-R actually likes the album and they get the full copy a few months after or so when it's available it's a nice thing to have. Nitro does this too, and I love it.

Originally posted by kirbypuckett

Again, Epitaph always sends full copies following CD-Rs. If you're getting CD-Rs from me it's my fault for not forwarding you the full copy if you actually reviewed it.

Of course, Epitaph decided to send my full copies of Heavens and the Draft to my old address and everything else to the right address recently. Even though those are 2 of the few Epi releases I've cared about this year.

Originally posted by lokithelion
all I hate is when they send it lose with no sleave at all (a major pain in the ass) or like East/West and Nitro are fond of doing just a cd in a case with the track listing. This is hell with metal records. Lyrics are fucking important I'd like to read the damn things.

East/West is just terribly inconsistent with their promos. I get shitty advances for most of their bands but full copies once in a while. Like, I happened to get a full copy of Murder by Death with no preceding advance -- now that was an awesome surprise.

Also, if you actually review the album sometimes the P.R. will make an effort to get you a real copy. I've done this with Nightmare of You, Receiving End of Sirens, and probably a few others.

Now Hydra Head, they're douche bags with the cardboard sleeves. Never, ever send out full copies.

CoreyPastepunk
10-04-2006, 08:49 PM
On that note, anyone want three more copies of the Matches?

Originally posted by Fuzzy
Try being on three publicists mailing lists.

If any of those are full-arts, I'll take one.

Fuzzy
10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by CoreyAcclaimed
If any of those are full-arts, I'll take one. Corey-
I'll check in the stack and see if i have any left...

Exit
10-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I'll take a copy of the matches chunk, ill myspace you about meeting up at school.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
10-05-2006, 01:02 AM
I've learned that once you/your site reviews a record, all you have to do is email the publicist and ask for a full-art copy and they'll send one right away. They have no problems taking care of us writer-types, they just want to make sure they're sending full-art copies to the people who actually want them.

lokithelion
10-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by iwilltotallyfuckyouup
I've learned that once you/your site reviews a record, all you have to do is email the publicist and ask for a full-art copy and they'll send one right away. They have no problems taking care of us writer-types, they just want to make sure they're sending full-art copies to the people who actually want them.

I totally just got into No Trigger bacause the cd-r nitro sent me never grabbed my ADD riddled mind. I've got a review of it coming this week and its one of the best things i've heard all year. Hope its not too late to get a real copy of this.

RecordTheory
10-05-2006, 07:20 AM
It's even harder to get people to review our albums since we're primarily a download-only label. We send .zip files with full artwork and a .pdf one-sheet, but still we get very little attention.

I see that some of you aren't down with Matador's decision to do this, but for me, I hope the practice catches on so we can get a little more attention!

Fuzzy
10-05-2006, 08:25 AM
I'd actually like to applaud Matador for this.

I find it very amusing to see a bunch of people who work for online publications to say that Matador is stupid for this, given the nature of their own 'zines.

jordan pastepunk
10-05-2006, 08:52 AM
I find it very amusing to see a bunch of people who work for online publications to say that Matador is stupid for this, given the nature of their own 'zines.

I'm not sure why you're trying to make a logical conclusion that because one publishes over the internet that they should acceptable digital file only promos with open arms. Would you argue that people who run zines like Punk Planet or MRR would view it any differently? Should they only prefer hard copies b/c they print hard copies? The matters that make running a webzine attractive are irrelevant to personal preference in how one likes to receive music for review.

Anchors
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM

I always forget to do this.

Fuzzy
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I think it's strange to me, because when I first heard about all these online zines, I read a lot of critiques about them not being "real" and how they'd never amount to anything, because you couldn't hold them in your hands, give them to your friends, etc. etc. This happened not only with music zines, but with sites like Arstechnica, Penny Arcade, Slashdot, CNet, and more.

I guess I find a logical connection between digital zines and digital distribution because they both are pushing the music medium forward through technology, reading the signs on the wall that certain methods of distribution possibly have shelf lives (not to be replaced, but possibly superseded) and to see one half of a very, very obvious pairing scoff at the other is just amusing.

I look at combining digital distribution with music reviews as the next logical step. If Epitaph is only going to send me a shitty CDR in a cardboard sleeve, why not just send me the mp3s? At that point, you're getting no different experience, because it's not as if the artwork is there.

Just like there will always be vinyl nerds, there will always be CD nerds, but I think it's clear, and you write about this all the time Jordan, that these newer forms of distribution are gaining traction and that it can actually save labels a lot of coin with distroing promotional copies (possibly allowing them to do more for bands for less money, which would be a shame).

This whole thing just seems fairly logical to me and a lot of you, and this is with no intend to offend or malice implied, remind me of all the people who told Gabe and Tycho, Scott Kurtz and R Stevens that online comics would never be able to sustain themselves.

lokithelion
10-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Its an issue of payment to be frank. Whats the difference from them sending me the mp3's and me downloading them off soulseek 3 months before the record comes out? I got it from the label and not some 13 year old kid. Either way I have the same amount of ownership of it that way, and frankly I'll get a higher quality file from the 13 year old than the 128kb file the label sends me.

I'm not owed anything. I love writting for Mammoth and when it stops I'll love writing for who ever I write for then. But on the same hand I do this as a part time job that doesn't pay anything but free cd's and sometimes 7". One of the issues I have reviewing things I dont get the full art on is I can't honestly review it all. There are records that the cover art is important as hell. Shit anything Fanotmas does for example. We are grading an in complete product. Who should a kid not just download the songs if for all they know the packaging is worthless. The labels are saying the music is all that matters, well to a kid they see that as "well I got the music why should I go buy the package?"

I'm tired.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
10-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I have more physical storage space than digital storage space. This is why I prefer receiving actual hard copies of music to having MP3s sent to me.

jordan pastepunk
10-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Good points Justin. In all likelihood, Matador is just getting ahead of the curve because we know that sooner than later, digital distro of promos is going to be the majority method, just like digital sales of music through iTunes, etc., will be the primary music purchasing method. As you point out, the financial benefits to the labels are too large to ignore and it won't be a novelty thing as more labels jump on board with it.

CoreyPastepunk
10-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I have more physical storage space than digital storage space. This is why I prefer receiving actual hard copies of music to having MP3s sent to me.

That's a really good point. I definitely don't want to buy more harddrives just to review music. It is so much easier to pop in a CD, review it, and throw it in a stack. Plus, stacks of CDs look really cool. You can't beat that.

HaveFunDying
10-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by jordan pastepunk
, just like digital sales of music through iTunes, etc., will be the primary music purchasing method.

I'm gonna be that old man who still refuses to buy music this way.

ModernDrunk
10-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
I'm gonna be that old man who still refuses to buy music this way.

You can hang out on my porch with me anytime, whittling wood and talkin' shit about the kids these days.

i get rad
10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
with the exception of used abulms and hard to find stuff, i really can't see myself ever buying a physical cd again.

i also feel like the whole blu-ray/ hddvd thing is a terrible idea.

crippledmark
10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't think that I will ever straight out buy MP3s, but I love my Yahoo Music Unlimited account. It makes life easy when I want to hear a record on the drop of a dime. Combining that access with the information on all music guide is also excellent for doing reviews.