PDA

View Full Version : New Mewithoutyou

irrationalfilms
10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
What do kids think of this? I'm really liking it so far. The first and last songs are totally incredible -- I love the "oh my god" chorus line in the first track -- and I really love the little folky "spider" interludes. Pretty solid record, though not as rock-oriented as the others. I'm curious to see how the songs will translate live.

There's someone on this board who posts with the username "seasick yet still docked" which is a line in the 1st song on this album. just curious if that's a common phrase or if that person got this username from this song (from an early demo or from seeing them play it live).

Russell
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Haha Inquisitive Robot's alter ego! He left because someone poked fun at the fact that he lived in his mom's basement.

HaveFunDying
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I somehow ended up at a show this band played (I think because of a girl), and halfway through the first song I told my friend, "man, this dude can't sing." He then informed that he was actually nailing the vocals like they are on record.

I don't know what people see in this band. Even for "talking" vocals, it isn't cool.

youwinalemon
10-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by irrationalfilms
There's someone on this board who posts with the username "seasick yet still docked" which is a line in the 1st song on this album. just curious if that's a common phrase or if that person got this username from this song (from an early demo or from seeing them play it live).
It's also a Morrissey song. They probably got it from that.

sad_dc
10-03-2006, 08:17 PM
The talking vocals don't work for the kind of music they're playing. They almost seem like an afterthought.

The music, however, is solid. I'm just basing this off of their myspace songs though.

irrationalfilms
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
I don't know what people see in this band. Even for "talking" vocals, it isn't cool.

I can definitely get why people don't like them. I hated the vocals and the whole band when I first heard their 1st album "A to B Life." But when I heard the 2nd album I was immediately hooked. There's something I find really appealing about them, especially the vocals -- they are pretty much what makes the band for me. Their drummer has an amazing beard.

That Seasick line is apparently a Morrisey song, btw.

ConzoTheLegacy
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I somehow ended up at a show this band played (I think because of a girl), and halfway through the first song I told my friend, "man, this dude can't sing." He then informed that he was actually nailing the vocals like they are on record.

I'm not trying to be super negative and hatin' on you, but I don't think I've ever heard you say you like a new album. I'm not saying this albums is good, because I haven't heard it and I'm not quite sure if I want to. But yeah... hahahaha

ConzoTheLegacy
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Also, I just listened to C Minor on their Myspace and I swear some parts of the vocals sound like the Dismemberment Plan, which is totally awesome. If the rest of the songs are like this song I might really like this CD.

HaveFunDying
10-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
I'm not trying to be super negative and hatin' on you, but I don't think I've ever heard you say you like a new album. I'm not saying this albums is good, because I haven't heard it and I'm not quite sure if I want to. But yeah... hahahaha

I do occasionally say I like new albums. I've posted support for The Thermal's latest effort. I like the new Killer's album too, but I don't know if I like it because it's hilarious, or because it's actually good.

Other "new" bands who I don't think suck include (but aren't limited too): Yeah Yeah Yeah, Wolfmother, The Artic Monkeys, The Subways, Bright Eyes, Kings of Leon, Spoon, Babyshambles, and Wolf Parade.

I basically just don't like anything with lots of screaming, double bass, "talented" musicians, gravel-voiced singers, or chugga-chugga-squeal riffs. That seems to make up the majority of the bands talked about on the board, so I definitely come off as a hater. I don't think my tastes are better than anyone elses here, just very different.

youwinalemon
10-03-2006, 10:20 PM
That Seasick line is apparently a Morrisey song, btw.
...did you just answer your own question?

irrationalfilms vs. BIZARRO irrationalfilms! GO!

chunk
10-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I enjoy it.

rawrchadrawr
10-04-2006, 12:15 AM
it shows more, but i think i'm going to end up liking catch us for the foxes better.

o, porcupine is their best song ever though, amazing.

robdobi
10-04-2006, 05:26 AM
I'm curious to see how the songs will translate live.

that "a sweater poorly knit" song came off as incredible live.

crippledmark
10-04-2006, 07:20 AM
I was really looking forward to the album. "Catch For Us The Foxes" as well as their live show really solidified MeWithoutYou as one of my favorite bands today. I commend them for the artistry on the new album, but I don't feel like the songs are as strong as on Catch For Us. Mewithyou = slint with feeling. I sort of feel bad for them that they are on tooth and nail. I feel like if they were on a hip indie label that they could be releasing the same music and have way more attention from fans. I think they are a bit too challenging for the Warped Tour set.

musical-monkey
10-04-2006, 07:59 AM
i think i could listen to "january 1979" over and over and be totally content. what a great song. i love his lyrics as well.

lokithelion
10-04-2006, 08:44 AM

Other "new" bands who I don't think suck include (but aren't limited too): Yeah Yeah Yeah, Wolfmother, The Artic Monkeys, The Subways, Bright Eyes, Kings of Leon, Spoon, Babyshambles, and Wolf Parade.

So do you buy two copies of NME in case one gets crusty from cum stains?

iamthekiller
10-04-2006, 09:23 AM
they toured through my town a couple of months back... didn't go. should have. definately going to pick this up.

HaveFunDying
10-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by lokithelion
So do you buy two copies of NME in case one gets crusty from cum stains?

Yes.

bob_loblaw
10-04-2006, 12:42 PM
I love the new record. I think it's going to translate well live because they first thing I noticed about the vocals was how much more similar they are to how he sounds live. Especially in the recent times I've seen mwY he has taken a softer approach to his vocals, way different than on a to b life. I am stoked to see them with Say Anything, two crazy frontman on the same tour, it should be great.