PDA

View Full Version : House shopping

adam punknews.org
10-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I spent all afternoon going to open houses. Making enormous scary purchases is sort of fun. We saw one place today that seriously could have been a funhouse. All it needed was mirrors everywhere.

Scott, you just did this right?

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I certainly did, and the best thing I can tell you is, go with your gut. If you find a place you can honest to god see yourself living in for the next 5-10 years, snatch it up. Don't think you're going to live in that house for the rest of your life; just think of it as a bigger apartment than the one you have.

musical-monkey
10-01-2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.impawards.com/1990/posters/house_party.jpg

mikeyj
10-01-2006, 09:46 PM
god I wish I could afford something here, but with double wides starting at 320k, it's rental for me!

Dana_Holy_Schit
10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Buying a house was the best thing I ever did......I have a crazy double mortgage happening, but my house will be paid off in just over 12 years.....

I have no problem with mortgage day either(unlike rent)....I look at it as one less payment I owe......So much better paying your own than some slumlord's mortgage...

a cocoon
10-02-2006, 04:42 AM
i am my own house.

kirbypuckett
10-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm starting this hunt as well.

fivewaysforward
10-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Dana_Holy_Schit
Buying a house was the best thing I ever did......I have a crazy double mortgage happening, but my house will be paid off in just over 12 years.....

I have no problem with mortgage day either(unlike rent)....I look at it as one less payment I owe......So much better paying your own than some slumlord's mortgage...

I'm renting right now, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to house it up from now on. Only downside is, I will have to move alot for work

Simulacra
10-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I advise you to gauge exactly how much space you need as an organism. If all you do is work, go out drinking, or sit on the computer, you probably don't need a backyard or extra bedrooms. If you can, buy a relatively new home, & learn all you can about wiring, HVAC, appliances, & plumbing.

adam punknews.org
10-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I think we're going for a yard. I really wouldn't mind planting some trees and getting a garden going.

The kitchen is important to us too, if there's one thing that apartment living has tought us, it's that small kitchens are horrible.

Fuzzy
10-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I'll build you a strawbale cabin.

;)

I wish I could afford to buy a house here. It's nigh-fucking-impossible. I currently don't even qualify to buy one of the houses I'm building.

chunk
10-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Mike-Lobster
god I wish I could afford something here, but with double wides starting at 320k, it's rental for me!

I feel that. Wanna go halfsies on a place in Sandpiper Mobile Villiage?

adam punknews.org
10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
All you Californians should stage periodic viking-style raids into the interior. You can take their riches and return them to the coast where you can use it for real estate.

jordan pastepunk
10-02-2006, 09:00 PM
The handful of deer that come out of the woods and hang out on our front lawn and eat acorns totally makes it worth the fact that my wife and are slaves to our mortgage and will be for a long, long time.

MikeM
10-03-2006, 07:11 PM
My friend just bought a suburban home that I'm moving into in about a month, should be awesome. I'm just paying him rent though, glad I don't have to deal with a mortgage yet.