PDA

View Full Version : SNL = blegh

adam punknews.org
10-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Anyone catch the premier last night?

First of all, I honestly have no idea who Dane Cook is or what he's from but he's not funny. What was with that overlong monologue of bad stand up? It was like the observational humour people make up when they're trying to mock observational humour.

The whole show just seemed off. A different degree of "off" than last season, but I wouldn't say it was much better. Even the new music in the opening credits didn't quite work for me.

Oh well.

Teen_Wolf
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
He did Comedy Central Presents standup in like 2000 and 2001 and it was funny not because of the comedy but because of the way he acted.

Now, Cook is everywhere and because of this, he needs to sit a couple plays out. He's way too overly exposed.

InaGreendase
10-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I didn't even get to Weekend Update and ended up passing out. Par for the course any time I watch new SNL lately. I mean it's worth a few laughs. The Al Pacino skit was alright.

Who replaced Tina on WU?

musical-monkey
10-01-2006, 10:08 AM
dane cook = overrated

I thought the opening skit from Monday's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was funnier than SNL in the past like 5-8 years.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
10-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by InaGreendase
Who replaced Tina on WU?

Seth Meyer. The funniest part of the show was before Weekend Update started and Brian Williams from NBC News showed up and tried to be the anchor. That dude needs to be a permanent member of the cast -- he was funnier than almost everyone else last night.

However, I do think the water jug skit was genius.

kirbypuckett
10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm suprised you haven't heard of Dane Cook.

His first comedy record is pretty good, but from there his popularity soared and to me it started going down hill.

He's like a good to fratboys around the world these days.

That tourgasm special on HBO was awful.

I don't watch SNL, so no comment on that.

Teen_Wolf
10-01-2006, 10:20 AM
[i]That tourgasm special on HBO was awful.[/B]

I thought it was weak too.

monsterriffs
10-01-2006, 11:15 AM
I think Tourgasm was pretty much universally reviled. It reminds me of those stupid DVDs that bands love to release with a bunch of footage of them on tour doing stupid stuff and they think it's going to be hilarious, but it's really only funny to the band members themselves.

I think the better sketches came after Update, namely that water bottle sketch and the random farrah fawcett/bar thing.

but yeah, dane cook is an example of that indie rock hipster situation where someone's favorite obscure band actually gets popular and is everywhere after that, and because of that exposure, the hipsters disown them. But yeah, good for Dane Cook, he's making a ton of money and he paid his dues and he's getting his rewards now.

ConzoTheLegacy
10-01-2006, 11:26 AM
I think Dane Cook is still pretty funny. As much as everyone likes him, he's still funny.

JimmysTangoMethod
10-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
I think Dane Cook is still pretty funny. As much as everyone likes him, he's still funny.

HaveFunDying
10-01-2006, 12:19 PM
He has funny moments. Definitely way overrated though.

iamthekiller
10-01-2006, 01:26 PM
people still watch this show?

god damn, i must be an old or something.... that's kind of scary to think about.

ConzoTheLegacy
10-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Anyone catch Dane Cooks HBO special? There were some pretty hilarious bits.

Anchors
10-01-2006, 04:41 PM
This show has not been good since Will Ferrell left it.

adam punknews.org
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by kirbypuckett
I'm suprised you haven't heard of Dane Cook.

I've heard the name but I've never seen him in anything. I don't get HBO / Comedy Central / MTV so that's probably why (I get the Canuck equivalents of the latter two but I can't say I watch them much).

He seemed to have that smarmy "ooh look how subversive it is for me to be doing this" look to him. Ehh.

IMDB says he's in Michael Bay's Transformers movie. Maybe Megatron blows off his head off or something.

iamthekiller
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Anchors
This show has not been good since Will Ferrell left it.

this sounds about right. i was having difficulty putting my finger on a particular moment where it all went to shit...

musical-monkey
10-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Richard
To be fair SNL is live, whereas what you see on Studio 60 is cut, edited, and the best of multiple takes. It's hard to compare the two.

I understand that but writing does play a huge part in that as well.