PDA

View Full Version : NFG

dpg
09-21-2006, 06:11 AM
so, is this new album actually any good or not?

Big_Guy
09-21-2006, 07:26 AM
it's not bad in my opinion, but I want more cheesy sounding pop punk ala s/t

jordan pastepunk
09-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Weird... I'm listening the new one again right now and went to post about it. I think I'm turning a corner on it. At first I was not into the less-nasally vocals, but the songs are sticking very well... especially the title track and "Taken Back By You." I think people are being way to quick to determine yay or nay on this, sorta like the DC press about the Redskins season after two games.

HaveFunDying
09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by dpg

Nope.

But I didn't think Catalyst was any good either. The s/t is fantastic though, and Sticks and Stones has its moments.

mammothsean
09-21-2006, 04:05 PM
its selling like shit

jordan pastepunk
09-21-2006, 05:34 PM
I don't think the decrease in sales in its first week compared to its last one has anything to do with the quality, perceived or not of Coming Home. It's a band lifecycle thing...

More interesting to me is the massive drop off by MARS VOLTA in first week numbers between albums. The hype has left the building on that band, and I don't think it's coming back.

HaveFunDying
09-21-2006, 06:12 PM
I think it's more the lifecycle of genres than it is the life cycle of bands.

After Coheeed (who didn't sell well either) and Mars Volta leave the mainstream, we won't see prog for hopefully another 30 years.

Pop punk (while still somewhat profitable) is taking a backseat to emo pop.

I think you'd have to be a complete idiot to be in A & R and not realize that the dance rock bubble was about to burst, but those bands are still getting signed like crazy.

BNO
09-21-2006, 09:59 PM
So whats the next rock trend soon to be blowing up on the radio?

Serious question.

HaveFunDying
09-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Shitty U2 bands, populated by 19 year old dorks who were screaming about girls 6 months ago, and who will be all, "yeah, we're really influenced by Jesus & Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine," but who will really just sound like Angels and Airwaves.

That's my guess anyway.

Fuzzy
09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
Shitty U2 bands, populated by 19 year old dorks who were screaming about girls 6 months ago, and who will be all, "yeah, we're really influenced by Jesus & Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine," but who will really just sound like Angels and Airwaves.

That's my guess anyway.

BUt really, how is Brand New's new album?

Christopher
09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy

ooooooohhhhhh.... sick burn!

Fuzzy
09-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Seriously though:
Why does anyone expect anything but pop schlock from one of the most obnoxious post-Blink pop punk bands?

I was always under the assumption that people liked these guys in the same way you remember than girl who gave you a handjob on the schoolbus in High School.

I don't really have to spell that out for you.

Christopher
09-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Seriously though:
Why does anyone expect anything but pop schlock from one of the most obnoxious post-Blink pop punk bands?

I was always under the assumption that people liked these guys in the same way you remember than girl who gave you a handjob on the schoolbus in High School.

I don't really have to spell that out for you.

but what if you ended up marrying that girl? You calling my woman a fucking novelty? I'm so gonna kick your hippy ass!

Fuzzy
09-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Christopher
but what if you ended up marrying that girl? You calling my woman a fucking novelty? I'm so gonna kick your hippy ass!
Bring it on...

Something about having fingers in your ass!

Christopher
09-21-2006, 11:27 PM
dude, don't go there... that was a moment of weakness.

It wasn't that big of a deal because I was pretending it was a vagina (as to not make it gay).

Mikey216
09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by dpg

Depends on who you ask. Some love it and some hate it.

I think its a really solid album and definitely fits their progression as a band perfectly. It is lacking in its punk roots, but that's okay because the songs are written really well. Even without the sound of their earlier works, it is still pop-punk. I think it starts off awesome, then the middle is a little shakey. But then then its cranks it up and ends awesome. My favorite song is probably "Too Good to Be."

:)

HaveFunDying
09-21-2006, 11:56 PM

Deja Entendu (as overrated as it is) is still pretty solid. I think they are one of those 1 in 10 bands who decide to "get mature," and it actually improves the band.

Barry
09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jordan pastepunk
I don't think the decrease in sales in its first week compared to its last one has anything to do with the quality, perceived or not of Coming Home. It's a band lifecycle thing...

More interesting to me is the massive drop off by MARS VOLTA in first week numbers between albums. The hype has left the building on that band, and I don't think it's coming back.

I think that is partly due to the fact the new Mars Volta is even more unlistenable then their last one, which is saying a lot. Those guys are incredible muscians, but I can't help but see it as merely a vanity project.

Barry
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Ass Cobra
So whats the next rock trend soon to be blowing up on the radio?

Serious question.

PostR&B

mammothsean
09-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Alt Country

Christopher
09-22-2006, 04:25 PM
if I could wish away the current Country and Western radio stations and have them replaced with "alt country", I would be a much happier person.

HaveFunDying
09-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I could see Alt Country getting big. It's "catchy," there's absolutely nothing dangerous about it, and hardcore/screamo kids would think they were being super ironic for listening to it.

i get rad
09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
lolz

InaGreendase
09-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
Pop punk (while still somewhat profitable) is taking a backseat to emo pop.

Exactly. All these bands are suddenly getting snatched up. Boys Like Girls, CIWWAF, the Summer Obsession...it's like they're trying oversaturate it before the REAL mainstream infiltration even began.