PDA

View Full Version : Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip premiere

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Okay, Aaron Sorkin fans, let's hear it.

I thought it was a good mixture of Sports Night and the West Wing, and it's obviously written by Sorkin (dude uses the SAME EXACT DIALOGUE in all of his shows). Matthew Perry was funnier than I expected, and so was the girl who's president of the network. Not so keen on the other female lead, the Felicity Huffman lookalike who's one of the "big three" show castmembers or whatever.

All in all, I'm looking forward to see how the series develops.

Oh, and the opening was KILLER. What an awesome (and incredibly true) monologue about how shitty TV is. I bet he's been saving that since Sports Night got the axe.

monsterriffs
09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
i'm downloading this as we speak...but it sounds promising..

fivewaysforward
09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
when was it?

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by fivewaysforward
when was it?

About an hour ago.

fivewaysforward
09-18-2006, 09:52 PM
shit. I'll have to catch it next week. I went and saw Half Nelson instead...Ryan Gossling = clutch.

sad_dc
09-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good to see something on tv that has well-written fast paced dialog ala Sports Night (of course Aaron Sorkin is the only one thats going to do this).

I'm interested to see where they go with the show, as the pilot didn't leave anything too defined, other then the fact that its an Aaron Sorkin show.

Christopher
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
shit. I'll have to catch it next week. I went and saw Half Nelson instead...Ryan Gossling = clutch.

excellent movie.

fivewaysforward
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Christopher
excellent movie.

It was part of a film festival on right now here.

http://www.cinefest.com/films-2006/index.cfm

If you're into movies, See anything else that I may have over looked and I should see?

phantomtreasure
09-18-2006, 10:47 PM
sports night ruled. wasn't too impressed with this, but i'll watch more. i bet it'll get better now that they've set things up.

iamthekiller
09-19-2006, 09:36 AM
i wasn't even going to give this show a chance but i might just check out an epi or two now that you've mentioned it...

off topic but none the less relevant: CANNOT WAIT UNTIL 10/4/6 @ 9PM ON ABC LOST SEASON 3 BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!

monsterriffs
09-19-2006, 09:44 AM
I finally got a torrent of this that worked, so I watched it this morning. My initial verdict was that I enjoyed it, but obviously, there are some kinks that need to be smoothed out. However, by the time the credits rolled, I was wanting more, so that's a good sign.

The one thing that bugged was that Amanda Peet's character was too cutesy. She's a good actress, but she was bugging me during this epi. Matthew Perry was probably the best part of the show. He still had his typical "Chandler" style behavior (only on Vicodin!), but was able to convincingly portray the dramatic parts.

Will they have a guest star each week like SNL has a guest host? I assume they would, esp. with Felicity Huffman already on the first show (granted, probably as a favor to Aaron Sorkin).

Lalo
09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
i watched this with my neighbors last night and we all agreed that it was an awesome show. might turn watching it into a little tradition.

matthew perry "high as a kite" was pretty hilarious.

Simulacra
09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
It was part of a film festival on right now here.

http://www.cinefest.com/films-2006/index.cfm

If you're into movies, See anything else that I may have over looked and I should see?

Lady Vengeance & The Proposition, although I think they're out on DVD in a few weeks. American Hardcore sounds cool.

Simulacra
09-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by iamthekiller
i wasn't even going to give this show a chance but i might just check out an epi or two now that you've mentioned it...

off topic but none the less relevant: CANNOT WAIT UNTIL 10/4/6 @ 9PM ON ABC LOST SEASON 3 BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!

Did you keep up on the Lost Experience thing? A few interesting plot points were divulged:

LOST $hit (http://lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Experience_Revelations)

adam punknews.org
09-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by iwilltotallyfuckyouup
Oh, and the opening was KILLER. What an awesome (and incredibly true) monologue about how shitty TV is. I bet he's been saving that since Sports Night got the axe.

Oh man did the opening to this floor me. I watched a number of premiering shows last night with varying levels of disinterest, but this held my attention like no show has in a good while.

zackarcher
09-19-2006, 10:21 AM
i expected great things because i loved the west wing. it delivered. prison break and this show are going to make me love monday nights for the first time since i was 12 and watched wwf raw.

fivewaysforward
09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Simulacra
Lady Vengeance & The Proposition, although I think they're out on DVD in a few weeks. American Hardcore sounds cool.

I'm still going back and forth if I want to see American Hardcore tonight or not.

As for Lady Vengence and The Proposition. I'll have to wait for DVD...they're both on friday (9:30 and 10:00 respectively) and I'm going to see Moneen that night. And since we don't get a lot of good shows here in Sudbury, I'll take Moneen.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

Simulacra
09-19-2006, 11:02 AM
As for Lady Vengence and The Proposition. I'll have to wait for DVD...they're both on friday (9:30 and 10:00 respectively) and I'm going to see Moneen that night. And since we don't get a lot of good shows here in Sudbury, I'll take Moneen.

Moneen show > festival showings of movies already out on DVD

iamthekiller
09-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Did you keep up on the Lost Experience thing? A few interesting plot points were divulged:

LOST $hit (http://lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Experience_Revelations)

i did not keep up on it but i did see the rather long video that was released recently that supposedly explains the numbers and what dharma was trying to do.

i think it will be interesting to see how it works itself into the show....

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Moneen show > pretty much anything else

fivewaysforward
09-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Sad part of the Moneen show...they're on 2nd of 4 bands. I pretty much only want to see them.

For the record: He Is Legend, Moneen, Silverstein, Underoath

Fuzzy
09-19-2006, 09:04 PM
That lineup looks positively snore-inducing.

Christopher
09-19-2006, 11:51 PM
this show looks like it could be great.

Matthew Perry's acting was surprisingly good for the most part, and the cast is also very excellent.

this could turn out to be the best show canceled this year.

lokithelion
09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
caught this tonight for the first time. Its a shame that the song they did at the end of the show was funnier than anything on SNL in the last five years.