PDA

View Full Version : Avail appreciation thread

ebullientsoul
09-16-2006, 07:10 PM
These guys rule. I know they're not big on progression, but damn, can they write some tunes...

This morning, as I got up, I was groggy from what happened to me that last night, I was putting on F.C.A., chose the live version, and before I knew it I was screaming "That one in the middle! Can we run this toll?". It was as if I had been struck by a bolt of lightning.

Barry
09-16-2006, 07:58 PM
I did a show for these guys on the tour they did with The Curse and The Casualties. It was one of the saddest days of my life, because more kids showed up to see The Casualties than Avail. At the same time it was one of the greatest days of my life, because Avail always puts on a next level live show.

Christopher
09-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Barry
Avail always puts on a next level live show.

hell yeah they do. I've never seen Avail on an off-day.

HaveFunDying
09-16-2006, 08:06 PM
For a second I thought you had actually made an "Avril appreciation thread"

irrationalfilms
09-16-2006, 10:26 PM
My Avail story:

I had seen Avail a bunch of times back in NC in high school. But I hadn't seen them in a really long time and then, while studying abroad in Prague, The Czech Republic in 2003 I found out they were playing. I was stoked beyond belief. I was riding the tram through a street in Prague the day of the show, and I saw Tim Barry walking down the street, I screamed "AVAIL" out the tram window and watched Tim look around totally confused.

Then, at their show that night, it was a small, mostly Czech crowd. Czech punk rockers are awful at being part of a crowd. I was amped to see Avail, I still knew every word to all the songs, and I was up front the whole time basically with Tim having his arm around me singing along the whole time. He kept grabbing me and swinging me around, because I was pretty much the "lone American" who knew their tunes. It was great.

After the show, Tim and the rest of the dudes from Avail and Ensign (who they were touring with) were hanging outside, and we got to talking with them. We proceeded to go with them to a small island in the middle of the Vltava River (the main river that runs through Prague) where we sat around, drank Austrian beers they'd brought with them from their last show, and talked about all kinds of stuff. We ended up pretty much watching the sunrise with them, and then we said goodbye and they hopped in their tour busses to head off to Germany. It was one of the coolest nights of my life.

So yeah, needless to say, I really really love Avail. Hearing those opening buzzsaw guitars of "Simple Song" gets me every time.

HaveFunDying
09-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Ok, for the life of me I do not understand what "buzzsaw guitars" means. It's driven me nuts like forever. I know what a buzzsaw sounds like, and I'm not hearing that on any guitars. What makes things worse is I always check out the songs people say have them, and the guitar parts to those songs never sound alike.

Other pet peeves: "time-bomb vocals" and worst of all "rythmic drumming" (no shit, drums with rythm?)

Russell
09-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
[B"rythmic drumming" (no shit, drums with rythm?) [/B]

As opposed to melodic drumming...

BizzleBrizzle
09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
If you don't like Avail you don't have a soul.

kirbypuckett
09-17-2006, 01:07 AM
First show I ever went to...

Avail / Suicide Machines

Doesn't get much better than that.

Barry
09-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by kirbypuckett
First show I ever went to...

Avail / Suicide Machines

Doesn't get much better than that.

If you were refering to the show at the metropol that d-76 opened, I was totally at that show. Probably the best suicide machines show I have ever seen.

Fuzzy
09-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Jordan finger pointing from the balcony in the 930 club is the ultimate Avail moment for me.

No wait, moshing it up with Brandon in Bernies.

No wait, circle pit with the crazy pop punk kids when they opened for Taking Back Sunday and A New Found Glory.

No wait...

Such a great fucking band.

James
09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
i used to hate avail, as prior '02, i was on a weird ultra punk tangent (that devout posters may remember) but avail fucking rules. drinking a beer with tim barry at a lucero show ranks high in my life.

and they're about the mid-atlantic, which is much of this board.

so; fuck yeah camo and intense jams!