PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so I know this new iTunes is sweet and all, but...


iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-14-2006, 10:32 PM
...does it keep crashing for anyone else besides me? Mine's shit the bed four or five times tonight, and I can't figure out why. Anyone else having this same problem?

fivewaysforward
09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
I haven't upgraded...but on a nother place I go to, people are having a ton of problems.

Christopher
09-14-2006, 10:38 PM
mine was crashing before I updated to 7, but it's not now.

monsterriffs
09-14-2006, 10:42 PM
i have OS X, so it's not crashing. The album cover flip viewer is unbearably slow on my computer, though that might be because I have an old g4.

the art download was not working well at all the other day and it's too case/character sensitive. it refuses to download art for an album title that has 'and' in the title but the iTS lists it with an ampersand, for example.

MikeM
09-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Mine doesn't crash, but is anyone else's Last.fm not really working with it?

musical-monkey
09-15-2006, 10:13 AM
i've read a lot of people are having issues with it. just wait for a patch or use winamp.

monsterriffs
09-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by MikeM
Mine doesn't crash, but is anyone else's Last.fm not really working with it?

hm, yeah, my last.fm isn't working with it. weird.

Anchors
09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Winamp, suckas!

Big_Guy
09-15-2006, 10:21 AM
I was downloading it, but my download manager had some reviews on it and everyone said it was shit

I think I'll wait

kirbypuckett
09-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Worst software apple has released in a while, well sans Apeture (sp?).

I try to stay away from v x.0 software from Apple, but this was TOO hard to resist.

It will be fixed -- it feels like a beta though.

musical-monkey
09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Seriously, Winamp is where it's at. Plus it can do all that ipod stuff (just no album art, sadly).

adam punknews.org
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Mine works fine. The album art download is pretty crappy but the viewer is such good eye candy. It's slow, but I've got an old P3 set up as a stereo-machine so I didn't expect otherwise. It hasn't crashed on me yet and my last.fm works fine.

kirbypuckett
09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I use Winamp when I download something or want to listen to a single track quickly, however as a library management application it fails.

iTunes, while a tremendous resource hog (I think I noticed the new one sucking up 512mb of RAM at one point!!!!) is A #1.

adam punknews.org
09-15-2006, 03:10 PM
iTunes is a resource hog. I have the benfit of it being the only program running on the computer I use for it. I suspect it'd be a pain in the ass when multitasking.

ebullientsoul
09-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by adam punknews.org
iTunes is a resource hog. I have the benfit of it being the only program running on the computer I use for it. I suspect it'd be a pain in the ass when multitasking.

Oh, it's a bitch when multitasking. I have it for my iPod, and if I could take the iPod without iTunes, I'd do it in an instant. Shit, I'd even pay Apple for that service.

kirbypuckett
09-15-2006, 06:23 PM
If I didn't have 2gb of ram in my computer, I don't know if I could use iTunes.

kirbypuckett
09-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Oh, I just noticed a new feature...

CD TEXT!

I never burned CDs in iTunes because it never included CD Text and my car's stereo reads that.

Go to Preferences >> Advanced >> Burning >> check Use CD Test

solid.

chunk
09-15-2006, 06:42 PM
It's totally fine for me... I multi-task all the time with iTunes playing and my Powerbook still runs just fine.

That CD Text feature is pretty neat, I must say.

ModernDrunk
09-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I can multitask with my older Dell, and while slow, it still works alright. I am quite amused at the jukebox style album art browser. So neat.

rawrchadrawr
09-16-2006, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by kirbypuckett
Oh, I just noticed a new feature...

CD TEXT!

I never burned CDs in iTunes because it never included CD Text and my car's stereo reads that.

Go to Preferences >> Advanced >> Burning >> check Use CD Test

solid.

what is cd text?

kirbypuckett
09-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by rawrchadrawr
what is cd text?

Your CD player (if it has the feature) will read the track name, artist name, album name.

P-Fresh
09-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by kirbypuckett
Your CD player (if it has the feature) will read the track name, artist name, album name.

So glad they included this now. It bugged me so bad that it wouldn't put that in there before.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-17-2006, 08:59 AM
The other ways of viewing your library are ridiculous. All it does is slow your iTunes down.

kirbypuckett
09-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
The other ways of viewing your library are ridiculous. All it does is slow your iTunes down.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200128&Ne=200000&Cn=Computer_Upgrades_Memory_Upgrades_Desktop_Memor y

BizzleBrizzle
09-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Most of my music is kept on an external harddrive, would things run smoother if I moved the entire iTunes program there?

adam punknews.org
09-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by BizzleBrizzle
Most of my music is kept on an external harddrive, would things run smoother if I moved the entire iTunes program there?

No.

You've got to look at where your bottleneck is. Once iTunes has been loaded it's in memory and probably doesn't do a whole lot of harddrive access itself. The files you access are on disk, but after they're accessed they're loaded into memory as well. If you're short on memory, your computer will start using some space on your hard drive as a backup (that's called a "swap"). Swapping is probably what's taking the most time.

You probably need more memory to keep it from swapping. I'd be really surprised if it's a disc-access slowdown.

Whipping Boy
09-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by chunk
It's totally fine for me... I multi-task all the time with iTunes playing and my Powerbook still runs just fine.


Ditto. Gotta love rockin' the PowerBook.

dpg
09-19-2006, 03:24 AM
the new itunes is sweet? news to me, itunes is probably the worst software i've ever used.

i also use the winamp ipod plugin, which totally owns.

and to whoever said that winamp is no good as a music library...at least it can add and subtract songs from your library AUTOMATICALLY. having to load every single mp3 into itunes is like having to download everything twice. what a complete pain in the arse.

not to mention the 100+mb of space it takes up, the fact that you have to use quicktime with it, all the adverting to buy songs, etc etc etc etc etc.

kirbypuckett
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by dpg
the new itunes is sweet? news to me, itunes is probably the worst software i've ever used.

i also use the winamp ipod plugin, which totally owns.

and to whoever said that winamp is no good as a music library...at least it can add and subtract songs from your library AUTOMATICALLY. having to load every single mp3 into itunes is like having to download everything twice. what a complete pain in the arse.

not to mention the 100+mb of space it takes up, the fact that you have to use quicktime with it, all the adverting to buy songs, etc etc etc etc etc.

iTunes finds your music automatically as well.

If you're griping about 100mb of space, you may need a new computer. It's not 1996 anymore.

Advertising to buy something?!?!

Mikey216
09-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Works great for me. No problemos.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-20-2006, 10:38 AM
I used Winamp for the longest time but when I finally go iTunes it's so organized, Winamp seemed like a pain in the but compared to it.

Big_Guy
09-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I still open up my music folder and listen like that. I have no library. am I weird?

Christopher
09-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Big_Guy
I still open up my music folder and listen like that. I have no library. am I weird?

yep.