PDA

View Full Version : So uh...Nintendo Wii -- Nov. 19th

kirbypuckett
09-14-2006, 07:40 PM
November 19th

$250

Comes w/ one controller.

Comes w/ Wii Sports.

I think that's a pretty fair package, it should have def. come w/ two controllers, but what are ya gonna do? It is still a shit ton cheaper than the competitors.

You can download old games...

$5 - Nintendo
$7-8 - SNES
$10 - Nintendo 64

I think those are decent prices, a lot of nerds are complaining, but they'll complain about anything.

The Opera web browser will also be sold seperately -- I'll probably buy it, even though I don't need another damn internet connecting device.

The peripherals are prices well too.

I forget all of the launch titles, Zelda is one and that's all that matters.

I wish it would be released before the PS3, because I hope Sony dies a terrible death.

monsterriffs
09-14-2006, 07:51 PM
7 bucks for Chrono Trigger is very fair indeed.

dpg
09-14-2006, 07:52 PM
i'll be buyin'.

ps. the playstation 3 isn't coming out until like march. at least not in australia.

robdobi
09-14-2006, 08:02 PM
WWF no mercy on nintendo 64 might be the single greatest 4 player game of all time. those ladder matches can be EPIC. definitely buying this.

HaveFunDying
09-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok, I haven't bought or played a new console in like 5 years. What's this business about dowloading old games to this thing? How does that work? It might be enough to get me to buy one.

monsterriffs
09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
Ok, I haven't bought or played a new console in like 5 years. What's this business about dowloading old games to this thing? How does that work? It might be enough to get me to buy one.

they probably got tired of people download emulators and ROMs of their games, so they figured that they might as well apply the iTunes model to the Wii.

ebullientsoul
09-14-2006, 08:46 PM
It's not that much cheaper than a neutered 360, and while I won't be picking one up on launch day, the SNES just has a library of games that I can't ignore.

I might pick it up when the first price drop hits, but it's #1 on my list simply because both other systems are far too expensive.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by robdobi
WWF no mercy on nintendo 64 might be the single greatest 4 player game of all time. those ladder matches can be EPIC. definitely buying this.

The original, Wrestlemania 2000, is FAR better. But what makes me pissed an even better game will not be sold on the Wii due to copyright laws.

Fucking Goldeneye.

HaveFunDying
09-14-2006, 09:20 PM
I thought Perfect Dark was far superior to Golden Eye.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
You are mistaken.

stayouttamalibu
09-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by robdobi

that game is an amazing one, but i am of the opinion that nothing will ever be a better 4 player game than mario kart 64.

Fuzzy
09-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by stayouttamalibu
that game is an amazing one, but i am of the opinion that nothing will ever be a better 4 player game than mario kart 64. Someone hasn't had to bring the blue sparks, bitch.

Kart64 is the lamest of the series. SNES and GC versions are both far superior.

Skapunk
09-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Smash Bro's Melee is the best 4 player game if the original mario party on n64 doesnt count due to the fact that it would burn holes in your palm. I will own you with captain falcon.

iamthekiller
09-15-2006, 07:24 AM
that game is an amazing one, but i am of the opinion that nothing will ever be a better 4 player game than mario kart 64.

i second this motion. i am always disappointed when playing other games similar to this becuase it's not the same as the original i played as a kid.

when this thing is cheaper i might pick it up but not when it's brand new, no thank you. i haven't played my xbox in over a month....

Anchors
09-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Nintendo hasn't been relevant since 1995.

Simulacra
09-15-2006, 07:48 AM
I'd say that cheap Wii downloads of Mario Kart 64, Wrestlemania 2000, Mario 64, & Goldeneye are pretty goddamn relevant.

ebullientsoul
09-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Anchors

How so?

adam punknews.org
09-15-2006, 09:10 AM

Anchors, I love ya, but you're a nutcase.

Nintendo is the one game company that seems to have their head screwed on straight. I'd much rather buy an affordable game system that's just a game system, not some bleeding edge ultra-computer meant to be the hive-mind controlling my living room.

I admit I'm probably atypical though. I was completely out of gaming after I graduated high school (hell, I've never played these "Halo," "Counterstrike" or "World Of Warcraft" phenomena, ever) but when I got out of university and finally had the funds and free time to start back up again, I picked up a Gamecube without a second thought. I've been very happy with stuff like the Metroid Primes and Wind Waker, and if that's considered irrelevant content I'd say it's more due to popular opinion than the games themselves.

CoreyPastepunk
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
I didn't know there were this many Nintendo lovers here so I'm wondering, would anyone here be interested in buying a Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64 with all of the games. The SNES package is probably the best because it works, comes with two controllers (although these sometimes do not work), comes with Mario Paint w/ mouse and mouse pad, Yoshi's Safari with the amazing Super Scope gun and all accessories in the original box, as well as all three original Donkey Kongs, and probably about 10 other games (Mario All-Stars, Super Mario, Madden 96, etc, etc) - most everything is in its original box. If anyone is actually really interested, and I know this sounds like promo, e-mail (corey.schmidt@yahoo.com) me or something and I'll get you all of the details.

MikeM
09-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I haven't bought a new console in like 10 years, but I think I might get this. Like Adam said, I don't want anything fancy. I don't give a shit about playing Halo with people across the country, I just want some fun simple games. And SNES was the greatest system ever, so that download thing sweetens the deal.

Anchors
09-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by adam punknews.org
Anchors, I love ya, but you're a nutcase.

Nintendo is the one game company that seems to have their head screwed on straight. I'd much rather buy an affordable game system that's just a game system, not some bleeding edge ultra-computer meant to be the hive-mind controlling my living room.

I admit I'm probably atypical though. I was completely out of gaming after I graduated high school (hell, I've never played these "Halo," "Counterstrike" or "World Of Warcraft" phenomena, ever) but when I got out of university and finally had the funds and free time to start back up again, I picked up a Gamecube without a second thought. I've been very happy with stuff like the Metroid Primes and Wind Waker, and if that's considered irrelevant content I'd say it's more due to popular opinion than the games themselves.

I was just exaggerating for the sake of it there, but as far as the last two generations of consoles, Sony has clearly been far superior. Everything from controller design to game library, Sony has been superior to Nintendo in.

Nintendo has the Mario franchise, which is still pumping out solid games, and it has Metroid and Zelda, but what else? They have nothing but those that are exclusive to Nintendo. They've concentrated much more on being family friendly than providing a wide breadth of games to choose from. Gamecube proves this. The graphics are great, the controller layout is far better than N64 (worst controller ever made) but there's barely anything on that system I want to play.

Meanwhile, Sony has been churning out not only great series' like GTA, Ratchet & Clank, Smackdown Vs. Raw, Prince of Persia, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, and so on, but there's plenty of other incredible single games like Shadow Of The Colossus, God Of War, and Guitar Hero too.

And how about online play? While Microsoft leads in this aspect, Sony's online system is solid, and Nintendo's is... non-existant.

The Wii looks to be extremely ambitious, and a fuckton cheaper than the PS3, but the single most important aspect of a system is still games, and that's why Sony has had the best product two consoles and running. Maybe this third generation will turn things around, and Nintendo will develop some truly innovative product, but for now, they're not doing much of anything.

fivewaysforward
09-15-2006, 10:18 AM

Ding ding ding

I'd rather play a game that has great game play and looks like shit then looks awesome and has shit gameplay.

I will eventually buy a next gen system and I think wii has the inside track right now

adam punknews.org
09-15-2006, 10:22 AM

Nintendo has the Mario franchise, which is still pumping out solid games, and it has Metroid and Zelda, but what else? They have nothing but those that are exclusive to Nintendo. They've concentrated much more on being family friendly than providing a wide breadth of games to choose from. Gamecube proves this. The graphics are great, the controller layout is far better than N64 (worst controller ever made) but there's barely anything on that system I want to play.

See this is all about perspective I guess. I bought a Cube mostly so I could get the updates to those long running Nintendo franchises. I'm really more interested in gaming to kill time and have some fun anyways, so the maturity thing isn't really a factor for me. I can easily get down with Monkeyball and not feel the need to play some hyperrealistic "adult" action game that I'm sure the PS has excelled in. Online play isn't even a factor for me.

Granted, if I have the itch to get some more mature stuff I think price-wise I'd do the 360 / Wii combo over the PS3.

robdobi
09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
adam and i are in the exact same boat, i'd much rather play fun games with my girlfriend that have a 30 second learning curve (mario party, mario kart, monkey ball) than spend weeks attempting to beat a game.

ebullientsoul
09-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I was just exaggerating for the sake of it there, but as far as the last two generations of consoles, Sony has clearly been far superior. Everything from controller design to game library, Sony has been superior to Nintendo in.

Meanwhile, Sony has been churning out not only great series' like GTA, Ratchet & Clank, Smackdown Vs. Raw, Prince of Persia, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, and so on, but there's plenty of other incredible single games like Shadow Of The Colossus, God Of War, and Guitar Hero too.

And how about online play? While Microsoft leads in this aspect, Sony's online system is solid, and Nintendo's is... non-existant.

The Wii looks to be extremely ambitious, and a fuckton cheaper than the PS3, but the single most important aspect of a system is still games, and that's why Sony has had the best product two consoles and running. Maybe this third generation will turn things around, and Nintendo will develop some truly innovative product, but for now, they're not doing much of anything.

Truly innovative product? I'd say the Wii controller and not just backwards compatibility but able to purchase games you didn't have already is innovative.

As for controller design, I actually enjoyed the N64 controller, though it left blisters on my left thumb.

Nintendo's franchises are Zelda, Mario and Metroid. I'm not real sure of Metroid here, but I'd be willing to bet that Nintendo's main three franchises have sold more games than everything you put there combined except for GTA and Metal Gear Solid.

(I'm not including Pokemon here, because that died out, but that probably made Nintendo more money than GTA...)

Plus, Mario isn't just a franchise, there's tons of game types with his name on them that move units. There's super mario strikers (soccer/football), super mario kart (racing) Mario party and also old school bop goombas on the head Mario.

Sony's has to go very far to convince any gamer that come launch day, I'm going to want to put down $700 on a first run console. But wait, you say! The PS3 costs $600, where are you getting this extra $100 from?

You have to pay taxes and you need to get a copy of a game to play on that system. (Sound familiar, Aubin?) (http://aubin.punknews.org/2005/11/22/hmmm/)

It appears to me that Nintendo's catering to a different crowd than Sony and Microsoft, so sales of their console won't be hurt too badly by people saving up for another system...

Of course, if you have hard numbers as opposed to the guesswork I've provided, please share them.

kirbypuckett
09-15-2006, 10:52 AM

You're drunk.

The gamecube was pretty good, all Nintendo related games were top notch.

AND

The DS is the best gaming system ever.

EVER

Anchors
09-15-2006, 11:33 AM
James, I really don't care how many games were sold. By that logic, Celine Dion is infinitely better than Converge. That's pretty much what you're telling me right now.

The point is this -- for every one great Nintendo game, there's three great Playstation games.

Yes, the new controller is innovative, but as far as backwards compatibility, Sony's already done it, and are going to continue to do it.

ebullientsoul
09-15-2006, 12:24 PM
James, I really don't care how many games were sold. By that logic, Celine Dion is infinitely better than Converge. That's pretty much what you're telling me right now.

The point is this -- for every one great Nintendo game, there's three great Playstation games.

Yes, the new controller is innovative, but as far as backwards compatibility, Sony's already done it, and are going to continue to do it.

Point to me where Sony's allowed you to buy out of print games over the internet that are delivered directly to your console. My question is, where on the Wii will these games be stored, and will you be able to play them with the Wii controller?

What I was telling you is how Nintendo has made money. I didn't say anything about the quality of those games, but if you'd like, I can. I haven't heard calls of shitty cameras and nigh-retarted AI in Zelda, Mario or Metroid games, have you?

As for the PS2 being superior to the Gamecube in everything I'd have to disagree, but that's a discussion for another time.

P.S.: And that comes from a guy who'se last console was the PS2 and didn't own a Gamecube.

monsterriffs
09-15-2006, 12:32 PM
what they lack in sheer computing power and advanced technology, they make up for it by tapping into the nostalgia of every single gamer out there. because before sony and microsoft came on the scene, nintendo was untouchable and EVERYONE has a game they associate with their youth. i actually own a PS2 and i own i think SIX games, and most of them are actually franchises which started on nintendo (final fantasy x, MGS 1-3 and chrono cross). i don't give a shit about most of the playstation games out there, because the market is so saturated with tripe. nintendo has always focused on quality, particularly with their name brand titles, so i think they kinda have a good edge to get back in the game (no pun intended).

Christopher
09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by bethesdacore
i don't give a shit about most of the playstation games out there, because the market is so saturated with tripe.

kirbypuckett
09-15-2006, 02:50 PM
The only thing the PS2 has that the Gamecube doesn't (that I was interested in) was Guitar Hero.

I am an XBOX kinda guy anyways.

...and owning a hacked XBOX is the best thing you can do.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MikeM
I haven't bought a new console in like 10 years, but I think I might get this. Like Adam said, I don't want anything fancy. I don't give a shit about playing Halo with people across the country, I just want some fun simple games. And SNES was the greatest system ever, so that download thing sweetens the deal.

Also they will be releasing some fantastic concept games using the advantage of their unique controller. For example, a chef game perhaps? Using the motion sensor to chop food and such. And fishing with it. Sounds really awesome.

Christopher
09-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by kirbypuckett

...and owning a hacked XBOX is the best thing you can do.

this is the truth.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Christopher
this is the truth.

My brother did this. It is pretty amazing because you can get all the emulators on a disc, as well as burn the xbox games on your own. I will being doing this to my Xbox 360 so I can burn my games. MUCH better than spending 60 dollars a game.

Also, Test Drive Unlimited is the coolest fucking game in a long time.

Christopher
09-15-2006, 03:06 PM
you just upgrade your hard drive to 160 gigs or so and you don't have to burn any discs at all. I transfer all my games that I've downloaded directly to my HD. Consoles will come and go, but I will always have my modified xbox.

InaGreendase
09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
The Wii controller looks TERRIBLE. I'd much rather Nintendo "reissue" the classic controllers from the systems listed.

stayouttamalibu
09-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
Someone hasn't had to bring the blue sparks, bitch.

Kart64 is the lamest of the series. SNES and GC versions are both far superior.

negative. first off the snes version wasnt 4 player. second off, the cube version was rad because it was cube and the graphics and updated moves were rad, but it didnt have nearly the lasting power of the 64 version. i tried with friends and we got bored of it after a couple of weeks.

nintendo always has been and always will be relevant. best video game company ever and always will be. whoever was talking about sitting down and playing super monkey ball over some stupid two week learning process "adult game" is 100% on the money. the only other console i currently play is xbox 360 and thats only because i got it for free.

BNO
09-16-2006, 08:08 AM
yeah uh, the xbox was a million times better than the ps2.

360 will be better than the ps3.

I really want to play the next gen Zelda but man, I'm sorry about that new controller deal.

Just give me a normal one I don't want to look like I"m doing the funky chicken all the time while playing Madden.

fivewaysforward
09-16-2006, 08:25 AM
negative. first off the snes version wasnt 4 player. second off, the cube version was rad because it was cube and the graphics and updated moves were rad, but it didnt have nearly the lasting power of the 64 version. i tried with friends and we got bored of it after a couple of weeks.

nintendo always has been and always will be relevant. best video game company ever and always will be. whoever was talking about sitting down and playing super monkey ball over some stupid two week learning process "adult game" is 100% on the money. the only other console i currently play is xbox 360 and thats only because i got it for free.

I won't lie. I own super monkey ball...that game can be fun as hell sometimes, but it can also piss you off more then anything else at the same time.

kirbypuckett
09-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by InaGreendase
The Wii controller looks TERRIBLE. I'd much rather Nintendo "reissue" the classic controllers from the systems listed.

You might be the only person in the world to think that.

HINT: Tilt the controller 90 degrees to the left.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM

Why, because it's trying something different? It's bringing a new approach to videogaming which will certainly be awesome.

fivewaysforward
09-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
Why, because it's trying something different? It's bringing a new approach to videogaming which will certainly be awesome.

I agree, dont' bash until you've tried it.

I though the N64 controller was terrible as shit. I wanted to refuse to use the little joystick but once I actually got to using it. I loved it.

InaGreendase
09-16-2006, 02:37 PM

When it comes to game controllers and something I'm going to be holding in my hands for a considerable amount of time, "innovation" is the least of my concerns. "Comfortability" tops said list, and I just can't see this thing satisfying that.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-16-2006, 02:44 PM
But this controller makes way with new types of games. The motion sensor is the key. I mean isn't it cool in a first person shooter you're actually aiming at the enemy?

InaGreendase
09-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I mean isn't it cool in a first person shooter you're actually aiming at the enemy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Zapper.jpg

dpg
09-16-2006, 06:02 PM
the wii is gonna be the best of these new consoles. the 360 is essentially just an xbox with better graphics (that you can't modchip) and the ps3 is too expensive to justify, no matter how good it is.

the wii will be awesome for its multiplayer potential, the motion-sensing controller and yeah, the fact that nintendo has never taken itself too seriously and the games are just FUN above anything else.

don't believe me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327f4hU1oVw

honestly i'm a bit surprised that everyone is so excited about being able to get all the old nintendo games...maybe that's just because i've still got my NES and gameboy and i've always just got an emulator for my computer if i wanted to play other stuff.

anyways, as far all all the 'mutimedia' capabilities of the 360/ps3... any sensible person will be able to tell you that a modified xbox simply cannot be beaten in this area. i can stream downloaded divx xmovies across my wireless network from my pc onto my xbox and watch them in 5.1ch sound on my tv (assuming they've been encoded that way). i can also play mp3s and watch streaming internet tv channels.

why pay (au) $650 for a system like the 360 that can't even do half of that stuff? let alone the ridiculous prices of the games.

so yeah, my modded xbox + wii = me being set for games systems for a good long while.

Christopher
09-16-2006, 06:20 PM
you can mod 360s now.

dpg
09-16-2006, 07:33 PM
really? what can they do/how much does it cost? my bad.

Christopher
09-16-2006, 08:05 PM
I'll try to do a little write-up when I've got some more time.

PH
09-16-2006, 09:33 PM

they are. they have retro controllers that will be with the wii, and also, you can plug your GCN controllers for some games as well, such as SSBB, which will OOOOOWWWNWNNNNNNN!!! also, nintendo is seriously the only console company that actually cares about innovative gameplay rather than power. xbox and ps are basically cut and dry. it seriously says something when dinky DS games are more fun to play than high production console games for the xbox and ps.

fivewaysforward
09-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by dpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327f4hU1oVw

After watching that, I really want a wii now.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Well personally, on the Xbox 360, they are starting to release some fantastic games. Test Drive Unlimited is amazing and you can basically do whatever you want. If you want to race someone, flash your brights at them. Or you can drive around.

Deadrising is really badass. It's not just killing zombies for 72 hours. There is a big story behind it and it is fun as hell.

The Ping Pong game is one of the coolest looking games I've ever seen.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by fivewaysforward
After watching that, I really want a wii now.

Seconded. And the last system I bought was a Sega Genesis.

stayouttamalibu
09-17-2006, 12:18 PM
watching that just now only confirmed my original opinion that nintendo will always be the best console. ill definitely be buying a Wii, and i havent bought a system since snes.

CoreyPastepunk
09-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I know when I was younger my friends and I would play racing games and sports games on Super Nintendo and whenever we'd want to turn right or left or get hit, we'd always end up moving the controller that way - even though it didn't really do anything at all. I don't know if I'm the only one to do something like that, but it seems like this new controller will finally act toward a habit like that.

I watched that video, and I think it looks really cool, but I'm just wondering how that controller would be good for an NFL or NBA sports game. It looks awesome for stick/bat games like baseball and golf, but I can't imagine it being sooo good that you could act like you're throwing a football or shooting a basket. Either way, it looks like it will promote a bit of exercise (especially that running part) to those kids that are so pale that you just know they sit inside all day playing video games.

stayouttamalibu
09-17-2006, 12:25 PM
i definitely moved my controller according to the game, i think everyone i knew did. i dont think every single game for the system will utilize the controller the way those stick/bat games, like they show that racing game where he is using the controller horizontally like normal, i would think the nba and nfl games would be like that.

a goofy gus
09-17-2006, 12:26 PM
yea i am going to get one of these but i hope they have a type of traditional controller you can buy. the official website says that since you can play gamecube games on it there is a hook-up for four gamecube controllers so i hope you can just use that for nba/madden games.

PH
09-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by a goofy gus
yea i am going to get one of these but i hope they have a type of traditional controller you can buy. the official website says that since you can play gamecube games on it there is a hook-up for four gamecube controllers so i hope you can just use that for nba/madden games.

yes, they do, there's a retro controller for the wii.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/wii/wii_specstop.jpg

ebullientsoul
09-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by CoreyAcclaimed
Either way, it looks like it will promote a bit of exercise (especially that running part) to those kids that are so pale that you just know they sit inside all day playing video games.

Sadly, I know a kid that fits that bill, he fits all the stereotypes to the T.

Fat? Check.
Obnoxious? Check.
Inflated ego? Check.
Pasty? Check.
Speaks in pwned, newb, camper? Check.
Is not bothered with appearance? Check.

He shows up at every meeting of my school's videogame club. I'll let you guys guess which game he plays the most...

CoreyPastepunk
09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by PH
yes, they do, there's a retro controller for the wii.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/wii/wii_specstop.jpg

thanks for the image - the retro controller is a great idea. this console keeps getting better and better.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ebullientsoul
Sadly, I know a kid that fits that bill, he fits all the stereotypes to the T.

Fat? Check.
Obnoxious? Check.
Inflated ego? Check.
Pasty? Check.
Speaks in pwned, newb, camper? Check.
Is not bothered with appearance? Check.

He shows up at every meeting of my school's videogame club. I'll let you guys guess which game he plays the most...

The Guy Game.

ebullientsoul
09-17-2006, 05:42 PM
The Guy Game.

No, but I hadn't thought of that.

kirbypuckett
09-18-2006, 10:18 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Zapper.jpg

You do know they're making a gun attachment correct?

chunk
09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Speaking of Nintendo, have you guys seen that new NES? It's awesome! Wireless controllers and only sixty bucks. One of my friends has one.... I want one.

http://playmessiah.com/product/NEX_index.html

adam punknews.org
09-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by chunk
Speaking of unofficial knockoffs of questionable legality, have you guys seen that new NES knockoff of questionable legality? It's awesome! Wireless controllers and only sixty bucks. One of my friends has one.... I want one.

chunk
09-18-2006, 12:59 PM
No, it's completely legit. Nintendo's patent ran out. It works flawlessly. My friend works for T-Mobile and worked a trade show in LA. That's where he found it... I guess the company actually went to Nintendo to try to work with them, but Nintendo was apparently uninterested and said it didn't matter.

It's completely legal.

HaveFunDying
09-18-2006, 01:03 PM

So do future frat dudes wait outside during the meetings so they can beat you guys up when they're over?

adam punknews.org
09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by chunk
No, it's completely legit. Nintendo's patent ran out. It works flawlessly. My friend works for T-Mobile and worked a trade show in LA. That's where he found it... I guess the company actually went to Nintendo to try to work with them, but Nintendo was apparently uninterested and said it didn't matter.

It's completely legal.

It's probably only "legal" in that Nintendo doesn't feel like fighting it, but I'm sure if they took issue they could find some grounds against it.

Looking at the FAQ page it says it's basically an emulator, so it's a chipset of the company's own design and is incompatible with some software... so, yes, it's probably legal as long as the ability to play those cartridges doesn't infringe on any of Nintendo's patents.

I've just seen WAY too many shady knock offs of old systems for sale by some really disreputable places, 99.9% of it being illegal junk, so I'm wary of anything like this.

ebullientsoul
09-18-2006, 02:53 PM
So do future frat dudes wait outside during the meetings so they can beat you guys up when they're over?

Nah. But that's because most of the dudes in there play Halo anyway and because the frat "dudes" don't beat nerds up anyway.

But if there was a club that would get my ass beaten, that would be ARGO, which I'm currently a board member of.

chunk
09-18-2006, 03:39 PM
It's probably only "legal" in that Nintendo doesn't feel like fighting it, but I'm sure if they took issue they could find some grounds against it.

Looking at the FAQ page it says it's basically an emulator, so it's a chipset of the company's own design and is incompatible with some software... so, yes, it's probably legal as long as the ability to play those cartridges doesn't infringe on any of Nintendo's patents.

I've just seen WAY too many shady knock offs of old systems for sale by some really disreputable places, 99.9% of it being illegal junk, so I'm wary of anything like this.

I had a ton of fun with it... my friend says that it works fine and that he's pleased with it. Sixty dollars well spent, I guess. If I knew where my NES games were, I'd buy one.

kirbypuckett
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
That device received horrible reviews, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I can't get to the link it's down.

HaveFunDying
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Nah. But that's because most of the dudes in there play Halo anyway and because the frat "dudes" don't beat nerds up anyway.

Pussies.

musical-monkey
09-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Penny-Arcade posted a link to this, an interesting take on the whole Wii launch:

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200609/N06.0915.1324.09291.htm

ebullientsoul
09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Pussies.

You know, contrary to popular belief, I've yet to meet a "frat dude" at my school that has been anything but kind towards me.

HaveFunDying
09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
You know, contrary to popular belief, I've yet to meet a "frat dude" at my school that has been anything but kind towards me.

I've never even been to college. I base all these statements off the Revenge of the Nerds movies.

ebullientsoul
09-18-2006, 05:48 PM
I've never even been to college. I base all these statements off the Revenge of the Nerds movies.

Seriously?

HaveFunDying
09-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Seriously?

Also Animal House.

Johnny Skins
09-18-2006, 06:45 PM
One of the major things yet to be mentioned is that Nintendo cut a deal with 3DO and Sega to have old Genesis, Master System, 3DO, and I believe Saturn games available through the Virtual Console. This means one thing and one thing only.

MUTANT LEAGUE FOOTBALL

PS- Tecmo is signed on as well.

HaveFunDying
09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Skins
One of the major things yet to be mentioned is that Nintendo cut a deal with 3DO and Sega to have old Genesis, Master System, 3DO, and I believe Saturn games available through the Virtual Console. This means one thing and one thing only.

MUTANT LEAGUE FOOTBALL

PS- Tecmo is signed on as well.

I actually managed to snag a physical copy of Mutant League Football about a year ago for Genesis. Winning the playoffs with the Death Factor all the way up is next to impossible.

Incredible fucking game. I can't believe they never made another one. It's all about those audibles.

Johnny Skins
09-18-2006, 07:01 PM
I actually managed to snag a physical copy of Mutant League Football about a year ago for Genesis. Winning the playoffs with the Death Factor all the way up is next to impossible.

Incredible fucking game. I can't believe they never made another one. It's all about those audibles.

I agree totally. Mutant League Hockey is pretty cool but its way too easy to win the game by killing everyone.

Where did you find a copy of Mutant League? I haven't seen anything Genesis related in years.

HaveFunDying
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Skins
I agree totally. Mutant League Hockey is pretty cool but its way too easy to win the game by killing everyone.

Where did you find a copy of Mutant League? I haven't seen anything Genesis related in years.

It was actually at my Game Exchange for like 5 bucks which is pretty nuts, because they probably have about 20 Genesis games total. Definitely a diamond in the rough. If you really want a copy, you can probably find one for 15 or 20 bucks on eBay.

I'm about to cave and buy General Chaos off eBay.

HaveFunDying
09-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Or you could just wait on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Replay.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-18-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm about to cave and buy General Chaos off eBay.

I totally own that game, and it is so awesome it hurts. I need to hook up my Genesis.

ebullientsoul
09-18-2006, 09:19 PM
The only game on my list is Guitar Hero II. It might have a Descendents song on it.

Johnny Skins
09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Or you could just wait on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Replay.

I don't own a PSP and the Wii has me sold on the combo of No Mercy/Tecmo/Sega, but the inclusion of both Syndicate and Mutant League is very very tempting.