PDA

View Full Version : Ripping "zero tracks" on CDs

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know how to rip zero tracks? Those are the hidden tracks before track one on some CDs when you have to rewind to hear it, i.e. Less Than Jake's Losing Streak, Armor For Sleep's What To Do When You Are Dead, etc. Apparently the new Moneen album has one, too, but I haven't heard it yet.

So, anyone know how to rip these into a computer?

Fuzzy
09-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Have you tried CDeX? Or Max if you're on a Mac?

ConzoTheLegacy
09-11-2006, 10:30 AM
I have never heard of these but i fucking want it

adam punknews.org
09-11-2006, 10:46 AM
The "track 0" technique plays around a bit with the way CDs technically work, so most computers won't play them.

The Red Book standard is that CDs some negligible period of silence before the first track. This might only be 2 seconds in length on a usual CD. The silence is physically on the disc but the CD's have their start point for the first track cued to after the silence. (note: I'm not sure WHY this is the standard or what it's for, it may just be to account for manufacturing flaws or something).

You get a "track 0" by making the pregap huge and putting the song in there. The only way to get to it is to rewind past the start of track 1... and this only works if your player allows you to do so. Your player may try to be smart and simply stop you from doing so. Computer players tend to work this way, and it's probably "proper" to do so. There shouldn't be data in the pregap, although I'm sure some DRM shit is attempted in there these days.

According to the Wiki the program EAC has the ability to detect an unusually long pregap, but I'm not sure if it can actually extract the data or not.

** I'm not totally familiar with how the CD TOC works, but assuming it's something like a FAT-table and basing my assumptions on that.

*** I'm a huge nerd.

Christopher
09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by adam punknews.org

*** I'm a huge nerd.

yes you are.. and it's awesome.

MikeM
09-11-2006, 05:41 PM
That Fingers Cut Megamachine album has one too.

adam punknews.org
09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
There's apparently one on Songs For The Deaf as well. I should check.

Teen_Wolf
09-12-2006, 02:57 PM
In the not so distant future, every person who reads the MUP board will be sitting in their homes putting every single cd in their player and rewinding the first track to see if there is a "zero track".

InaGreendase
09-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by iwilltotallyfuckyouup
Apparently the new Moneen album has one, too, but I haven't heard it yet.

It's a minute-long acoustic reprise of the last song off Are We Really Happy...?, followed by one of those DUD DUD DUD stomps that begins the album, so you get another before it really begins. It's pretty sweet.

kirbypuckett
09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
I know for a fact that CDex won't rip these parts.

I haven't found software to do it to date.

I remember when I first found out about the LTJ record, I tried to rewind every record I owned at the time -- no dice.