PDA

View Full Version : When has this ever been a good idea?

John
09-07-2006, 10:44 AM
From the Thrice newsletter:

We have started writing and recording a 4 disc concept record, with each disc being themed sonically and thematically to correspond with the four natural elements - earth, air, water and fire. The final record will have somewhere between 20 and 25 songs, divided between the 4 discs.

We are approaching the whole project in a new way for us, both writing and recording. Writing with these elements in mind, we are letting them shape the direction of the songs sonically and thematically. And for the first time, we're recording the record ourselves as we write it, freeing us up to change things as we go.

lee
09-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Makes me think of the Black Flag failed instrumentals. It's scary when bands take leaps, hopefully it ends up being amazing.

As for the concept being Earth, Air, Fire, and Water........ i don't know

lee
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
why aren't they making a Metal disc

Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Metal

am I wrong on this?

musical-monkey
09-07-2006, 11:02 AM
the early november did it and it seems to be working out ok for them.

bob_loblaw
09-07-2006, 11:37 AM
If they are doing this whole elemental thing, haven't they forgotten about the Ether?

chunk
09-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Yea, but The Early November just did a concept record which had three discs. Some songs were even repeated on different discs in other forms.

This whole elements concept is kind of interesting... doesn't seem like the brightest idea, especially when you consider the last record a "commercial failure."

Christopher
09-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I think this will be more listenable than the Early November record, because they're not trying to FILL all four discs with music. He said previously that it would be more like 4 shorter cohesive albums, which sounds great to me.

BARONE
09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
here's how i see it.

after TAITA came out it was like they had exhausted their skills at writing metal/punk type songs. So it was like where do they go from there? So they gave us Vheissu. A nice departure from the same old riffage. Now that they've departed from their core sound that made them popular (i.e. Illusion of Safety) they seem to be even more backed up against the question of "What do we do next?" In a lot of ways another metal record would appear to be rehashing a lot of what the band has already done and I doubt they'll do this. I just can't understand wanting to do something so self-indulgent (and costly) as a 4 disc concept album. Yeah, they've kinda dug themself into a whole with the music they've put out but a concept album is not going to remedy that.

stayouttamalibu
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by chunk
This whole elements concept is kind of interesting... doesn't seem like the brightest idea, especially when you consider the last record a "commercial failure."

it seems pretty clear that they really dont care about being commercially successful.

Anchors
09-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by stayouttamalibu
it seems pretty clear that they really dont care about being commercially successful.

Exactly.

And I hate when bands get so much shit for trying to do something different. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but they're already catching an ungodly amount of shit for this. Vhiessu made it clear that they're tremendously talented songwriters, I see no reason why they can't pull this off.

Also, as Adam mentioned, they can't go back to their old sound now. Too late for that, not that kids wouldn't bitch about them releasing the same album twice anyhow.

Christopher
09-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by XxBloodRedXx
here's how i see it.

after TAITA came out it was like they had exhausted their skills at writing metal/punk type songs. So it was like where do they go from there? So they gave us Vheissu. A nice departure from the same old riffage. Now that they've departed from their core sound that made them popular (i.e. Illusion of Safety) they seem to be even more backed up against the question of "What do we do next?" In a lot of ways another metal record would appear to be rehashing a lot of what the band has already done and I doubt they'll do this. I just can't understand wanting to do something so self-indulgent (and costly) as a 4 disc concept album. Yeah, they've kinda dug themself into a whole with the music they've put out but a concept album is not going to remedy that.

I think this is a rather simplistic view of their situation. I see it more as a band being influenced by a ton of different music and trying to explore as many avenues as possible. They probably did exhaust their old sound, but who's to say that can't incorporate some of that metal flair into future songs? As long as the band doesn't pander to the people who are just comfortable with what they're doing, and write music that they really believe in, I'll give it an honest try.

The proof is in the pudding.

monsterriffs
09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
quite frankly, i'm all about this. it's nice to have a band that matures as I do, rather than have a band that pretty much does the same thing each album, even if they do it extremely well (e.g. Unearth).

Exit
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
This album would be way better if there was a 5th disc about all the elements combined titled Captain Planet.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I think it'll be pretty cool. I wanna hear it, I don't know if I'll like it though.

jordan pastepunk
09-07-2006, 03:14 PM
So will this cost $39.96 on iTunes? Troubling...

Christopher
09-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by jordan pastepunk
So will this cost $39.96 on iTunes? Troubling...

How much does that Early November album cost (if it's even on iTunes).

adam punknews.org
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
"Earth, Air, Fire, and Water" doesn't strike me as a very captivating theme. I'd like to be proven wrong here, but for a concept album the concept (on paper) seems far more self-indulgent than it does provocative. It sounds like they came up with the idea of a 4 record set before they really figured out WHY they need it.

musical-monkey
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Christopher

you can buy it for 9.99

rawrchadrawr
09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Christopher

it cost $5 at warped tour until drive through got mad.

if you play all 4 at the same time does captain planet appear? OMGZ OMGZ LOL ZINGSzZ

HaveFunDying
09-07-2006, 05:29 PM
I just don't understand the appeal of concept albums at all. It seems to me like collecting your best songs and placing them together on an album is a concept in and of itself. I don't see the need for an underlying theme hammered down my throat.

This concept fad needs to go the fuck away.

HaveFunDying
09-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Haha.... the more I think about this, the more hilarious it is. That wind disc is going to be hard-hitting.

Fuzzy
09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I hate it when bands attempt something artistic.

Fuzzy
09-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Odd, because aside from two people (you and the reviewer on the Org) everyone I've talked to has said the latest Thermals album is not so hot, and by far their "worst" (even though that's still pretty damned good).

I'm not even a fan of Thrice, but they've always been a band who's pushed a little harder and aimed a little higher than the rest of "the scene." I admire the fact that they've been entirely unapologetic about their shift in sound and instead have kept pushing it forward in a way that doesn't mirror the trends around them. Who knows, maybe they did come up with this idea the way that you present it but given the fact that they don't seem to actually care if their records do "OMG XBOX HUGE!" numbers, I'll wait and pass judgement later.

I love how on one hand you are constantly bashing what you consider to be "lesser" musics, but then when a band attempts something genre bending or mildly aspiring, you bash it because it's "too much." I can respect someone with a different opinion, but not if it's just the ramblings of a 19 year old douchebag who feels he's "outgrown" his Dashboard Confessional and Millencolin CDs and now must bash all bands who may represent the scenes and music he used to enjoy.

Grow up.

jordan pastepunk
09-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Given how most music contracts only pay mechanicals on the first ten songs, I wonder how DTR treates the Early November release. I would be surprised if only ten songs are being covered...

HaveFunDying
09-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
Odd, because aside from two people (you and the reviewer on the Org) everyone I've talked to has said the latest Thermals album is not so hot, and by far their "worst" (even though that's still pretty damned good).

"worst" Thermals record > "best" Thrice record

easily.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't see why you guys have a problem with them making a record. Who cares? Maybe it'll be good, you can't say for sure it sucks already.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
"worst" Thermals record > "best" Thrice record

easily.

I found More Parts Per Million pretty unlistenable; however, The Illusion Of Safety still rips. It's not as good as Fuckin' A, however.

HaveFunDying
09-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I don't think The Thermals are quite as amazing as Richard, I just think they're pretty good. I've just never been able to get into Thrice though. The riffs were pretty cool on some of the older stuff, but now even that's gone.