PDA

View Full Version : Is this really what bands have come down to?

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-05-2006, 08:32 PM
From This Providence's myspace blog:

Monday, September 04, 2006

Stolen!
Current mood: aggravated

So last night we played at the House Of Blues in Anaheim. The show was amazing! Unfortunatly that amazing night had to end tragically. After the show i could not find my cell phone where i had left it backstage. We looked all over for it, called it several times and asked around alot to see if anyone had seen it. To no avail did it show up. So i am now without a cell phone and let me tell ya. Being on tour without your cellphone really sucks. I cant call my family or friends without having to borrow someone elses phone and i cant text message to help keep me occupied during long drives. Now i already know that Dan asked for a phone on his tour journal so i feel bad asking for another one, BUT if you do by chance have an extra Verizon Wireless cell phone, Preferably a Motorolla, lying around and are planning on coming to one of our upcoming shows i would greatly appriciate it. Also Gavins phone has a broken screen. It still works he just cant see anythig so if you have one for him too that would be awesome. Its an LG and Verizon as well. Thank you all very much and i look forward to seeing you all at the shows. Take care.

-Ryan <><

monsterriffs
09-05-2006, 08:34 PM
wow...whatever happened to keeping track of your personal effects and/or saving your money to buy a new phone?

ConzoTheLegacy
09-05-2006, 08:52 PM
I kinda liked This Providence's older CD but the new one is a boring pile of poop.

stayouttamalibu
09-05-2006, 08:57 PM
and i cant text message to help keep me occupied during long drives...hahahahahahahahaha

ebullientsoul
09-05-2006, 09:02 PM
On topic: This is fucktarted.

Off topic: Speaking of cell phones.

I remember Tim Barry of AVAIL going back into the Metro and getting my cell phone from backstage after I interviewed Greg from the Bouncing Souls, and both times when I saw Avail, I forgot to say thank you.

Of course I thanked him before and after he came back with the cell phone, but it still bugs me to this day that I haven't thanked him again...

Fuzzy
09-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Meh, not that strange.

It's a dude asking his fans for some help. You know that somewhere in his fanbase is a kid with a bit too much money who's got extra phones laying around, itching to help out his favorite band.

To me this seems kind of like they're attempting to make some sort of community.

HaveFunDying
09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah, this isn't too bad. Now if he had set up a paypal account for us to contribute to raising funds for his new cell phone, that would be ridiculous.

brandon-punkrocks
09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
i wonder if he needs some water to clean the sand out of his vagina.

and i would agree with justin, but that doesn't happen. i moreso feel like he's taking advantage of a community. since when does being in a band entitle you to a handout?

brandon-punkrocks
09-05-2006, 09:15 PM
i forgot to mention, if any of you have an a-900 laying around, my phone is old and the t9 word dictionary sucks, and i only have the standard ringers and you can't change the backround, so i'd really appreciate a new one.

thanks dudes.

HaveFunDying
09-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Dudes, if anyone has an old laptop lying around, I would like to have one. Thanks.

Fuzzy
09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who also thinks that the whole "paypal" situations are definitely not the worst things in the world either.

brandon-punkrocks
09-05-2006, 09:43 PM
you definitely are.

bands had just as much trouble touring before the internet and had the same shit to deal with and they made it without paypal.

Fuzzy
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
And I remember being between the ages of 14 and 17, having no way to go see bands and seeing them fall apart because they couldn't make enough money to tour in my area. I probably would have died to be able to send them money in an easy manner so that they could keep doing what they were doing.

Also, it costs more to tour now, bottom line, and the same people who bitch about Paypal also bitch about people raising the costs of CDs, merch or shows.

I remember bands also posting in fanzines and on their websites that their van broke down or shit got stolen, asking for "any help people could give," and no one shat on people then, they pitched in and supported the bands as part of a community. Now if it's on website or Myspace and it's actually EASIER, quicker and more efficient to help bands out it's lame. It baffles me.

Most of the time, all the bitching about Paypal sounds like a bunch of old geezers refusing to accept the advances that modern technology have given to bands.

BNO
09-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah who really cares, as a band you are going to be in touch with more people than normal.

Its just like an extended friend group. Plus you don't have to help if YOU don't want to.

Its not like they are asking for brand new t-mobile sidekicks.

But that thing about "not being able to text message on long rides", is funny as fuck.

Fuzzy
09-05-2006, 11:04 PM
If these dudes were asking for books to read on long rides they wouldn't be getting the opposition.

BNO
09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
If these dudes were asking for books to read on long rides they wouldn't be getting the opposition.

Prolly not.

And I don't have text messaging but I bet 90% of this band's scene use text messaging more frequently than the band itself.

Fuzzy
09-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Yup.
I text message quite a bit, but not nearly as much as some people who say they "hate it."

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-05-2006, 11:28 PM
The fact is, this band is asking for a (rather extravagant) luxury item. It's not like their van -- which is a neccessity for touring -- broke down; a dude was an idiot and lost his cell phone (and another dude broke his screen). He even said that the other guys in the band have cell phones, and he just has to borrow them when he has to make a call. Wah wah wah.

I've donated to bands who have had seriously wack shit happen to them (see: Engine Down). But giving a kid who's signed to Fueled By fucking Ramen and playing to sold-out crowds every night opening for Paramore? Fuck that nonsense. I'm sure this band makes enough off merch in one night for all four members to buy brand new cell phones.

Fuzzy
09-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by iwilltotallyfuckyouup
The fact is, this band is asking for a (rather extravagant) luxury item. It's not like their van -- which is a neccessity for touring -- broke down; a dude was an idiot and lost his cell phone (and another dude broke his screen). He even said that the other guys in the band have cell phones, and he just has to borrow them when he has to make a call. Wah wah wah.

I've donated to bands who have had seriously wack shit happen to them (see: Engine Down). But giving a kid who's signed to Fueled By fucking Ramen and playing to sold-out crowds every night opening for Paramore? Fuck that nonsense. I'm sure this band makes enough off merch in one night for all four members to buy brand new cell phones.
I see your point, but I know that when my cell phone got broken, I had to get a new one immediately as it is pretty much the only way 3/4s of the world can get in touch with me. I totally understand the need or the desire to get it replaced and I'm not in a position to be making assumptions about these dudes' financial situation.

I think over half the reason why people seem to have beef is that the bands that end up asking aren't the bands that are in vogue with the older audience, but rather are appealing to the younger kids who probably have more disposable (ie: parental) income. So be it.

sodajerk
09-06-2006, 12:08 AM
he's just avoiding responsibility and taking advantage of his fans just bc he's in a easy posistion to probably score a free phone. cmon three guys in the same band are asking for cell phones and one is requesting for a particular brand?... " BUT if you do by chance have an extra Verizon Wireless cell phone, Preferably a Motorolla.."

Fuzzy
09-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I guess I'm not too busted up over, surprised by, or find fault in an obviously crappy, superficial band asking for something like this. And I also can see the need on their part. I just think the condemnations that actions like this bring are hilarious given the minimal impact of them.

stayouttamalibu
09-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
I guess I'm not too busted up over, surprised by, or find fault in an obviously crappy, superficial band asking for something like this.

having had to beg our label to western union us 100 bucks just so we could get towed to the next town to get our broken down vehicle fixed, that being one of many other very similar situations, i definitely have a problem with them whining about not having a phone to text during long drives and asking people to give them specific brands of phones so they dont have to "borrow one of the other guys' phones" if they want to make a call. like scott said, waaaaaaaaaa.

Barry
09-06-2006, 01:14 AM
I am sure they will end up featured in Alternative Press in no time.

RedScare
09-06-2006, 03:02 PM
[i]...But giving a kid who's signed to Fueled By fucking Ramen and playing to sold-out crowds every night opening for Paramore? ... [/B]

See, that's reason enough to donate to this poor bastard. He's on a label bent on ruining music and on tour with indie-punk's equivalent to Milli Vanilli. This guy doesn't need a phone attached to his head, he needs a bullet in the head.

John
09-06-2006, 05:05 PM
I could see some very intense lyrics arising from this band's struggle with cell phones.

BNO
09-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by John
I could see some very intense lyrics arising from this band's struggle with cell phones.

This is about one of those lonely nights, when I just couldn't text message anyone.

InaGreendase
09-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
I kinda liked This Providence's older CD but the new one is a boring pile of poop.

Agreed, which makes reading shit like this a lot easier.

chunk
09-07-2006, 01:54 AM
I went to the Paramore/CIWWAF/This Providence show tonight in LA. I timed it quite well, walking in just as Paramore was about to walk on stage.

I'm pleased that I missed the openers.... my planned worked flawlessly.

James
09-10-2006, 04:12 AM
i lost my rent money being poor. i want a new bike. hit me up!