PDA

View Full Version : new saosin

stayouttamalibu
09-03-2006, 08:57 PM
i dont care what anybody says, this record is the JAM. that ballad, holy shit.

InaGreendase
09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
It's pretty solid.

The Marc
09-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Even though the next 10 posts will be about how shitty they are, the two songs on their Myspace rule, and I'm pretty pumped for this album.

PH
09-03-2006, 09:52 PM
i like saosin. NO HATAS!

BNO
09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I called it the record of the year before ever hearing it and I still haven't heard it.

Not saying it will BE the album of the year, but as for my personal tastes, it very well could be. I'm stoked on it.

Anchors
09-03-2006, 10:06 PM
No care evar about this band.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by stayouttamalibu
i dont care what anybody says, this record is the JAM. that ballad, holy shit.

Seriously, that ballad could be HUGE. All Capitol has to do is get them to a third single, and that song gets them a gold record, easily.

Anchors
09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Richard
Ooopsie? Did the baby duck get his bill stuck in the doorway as the door was closing?

monsterriffs
09-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by iwilltotallyfuckyouup
Seriously, that ballad could be HUGE. All Capitol has to do is get them to a third single, and that song gets them a gold record, easily.

third single? seems like most of hair metal was based on releasing the rocking single first and then the power ballad second. why wait for two singles before?

HaveFunDying
09-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Richard
Ooopsie? Did the baby duck get his bill stuck in the doorway as the door was closing?

So I'm starting to like Richard again.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by bethesdacore
third single? seems like most of hair metal was based on releasing the rocking single first and then the power ballad second. why wait for two singles before?

Ballads are third singles.

monsterriffs
09-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Ballads are third singles.

hm, interesting. just because it seems so many hair metal bands, for example, got big with one rock single before droppign the ballad.

HaveFunDying
09-03-2006, 11:41 PM
It seems like with bands that aren't mainstream big yet nowadays, they're first single that never quite catches on, second single that sorta catches on, and then the homerun ballad shitfest third single. I'm assuming this is the model Scott is speaking of.

I think if the first single makes a dent though, the label will drop the ballad. I can think of several bands (Oklahoma's own Hinder!!!OMG!1), whose second single has been the big ballad.

One thing's for sure... if you drop that big ballad on a major label and it doesn't connect, you are dropped motherfucker.

But to answer your question, big rock single then ballad was the formula for the 80s.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
It seems like with bands that aren't mainstream big yet nowadays, they're first single that never quite catches on, second single that sorta catches on, and then the homerun ballad shitfest third single. I'm assuming this is the model Scott is speaking of.

More or less, yeah. Your first single is the "active rock" single, the one they try to get the buzzworthy/tastemaker stations to play (Q101/KROQ/your local "extreme" station/etc.). If and when that makes a dent, you drop one that has a bit more mainstream appeal and push it to modern rock radio; if that sees some success, Top 40's gonna be rocking the shit out of the 3rd single, which would be the ballad (maybe not in strict definition, but generally a slower song with a huge, easy to remember chorus).

Music's no fun anymore once you look at it like this.

chunk
09-04-2006, 03:24 AM
I'll use Yellowcard to further explain Scott's point...

1. Way Away - It didn't do much, but it got some play...
2. Ocean Avenue - HOLY BALLS. Blow the balls up and que platinum record.
3. Only One - Slow, memorable chorus. 1.8 million records later....

Never release the ballad first. Isn't that right, Acceptance?

dpg
09-04-2006, 04:30 AM
i'm stoked to hear this album, even though i haven't cared/heard anything about this band for like 2 years...

definitely agree with the ballad-as-third-single rule. also see: first-single-as-second-track-on-album.

Fuzzy
09-04-2006, 02:36 PM
More or less, yeah. Your first single is the "active rock" single, the one they try to get the buzzworthy/tastemaker stations to play (Q101/KROQ/your local "extreme" station/etc.). If and when that makes a dent, you drop one that has a bit more mainstream appeal and push it to modern rock radio; if that sees some success, Top 40's gonna be rocking the shit out of the 3rd single, which would be the ballad (maybe not in strict definition, but generally a slower song with a huge, easy to remember chorus).

Music's no fun anymore once you look at it like this.
This is all accompanied by cover stories in the right magazines and full album streams on the right webzines, of course.
;)

stayouttamalibu
09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
scott is right except the second single goes to pop radio, not modern rock. modern rock radio doesnt really do much for record sales these days. ocean ave went to pop radio and most of the records sold were actually from that song, only one didnt do nearly what it should have.

the saosin ballad will be the third single, i just hope their second single holds up enough to last to it, cause that ballad will be huge as long as it is released no matter what...way more than just gold.

Christopher
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
this thing leaked if anyone cares

rawrchadrawr
09-15-2006, 03:19 AM
which song is the amazing ballad? i havent had time to listen to this through.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Cove sens less like Anthony Green an "Anthony Green replacement" oin here and actually sounds like that singer from Name Taken.

BNO
09-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
Cove sens less like Anthony Green an "Anthony Green replacement" oin here and actually sounds like that singer from Name Taken.

I really liked Name Taken, I can't wait to get this album.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
09-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by rawrchadrawr
which song is the amazing ballad? i havent had time to listen to this through.

"You're Not Alone."

Barry
09-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I got this record yesterday and so far I am digging it. I did notice however that the last two songs sound way different from the other 10 production-wise.

Big_Guy
09-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Barry
I got this record yesterday and so far I am digging it. I did notice however that the last two songs sound way different from the other 10 production-wise. yeah, Bury Your Head immediately struck me as different sounding

monsterriffs
09-15-2006, 12:25 PM
voices is a cool track. i kinda like that they've gotten rid of the screaming.

iamthekiller
09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
holy crap has this leaked. i've been searching torrentspy/mininova/piratesbay for weeks and have only been finding their old eps. now they have it listed with freaking 200+ people seeding.

i think i know what i'm doing once i get home from work.

THIEVING IT UP. THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID IT.

Christopher
09-15-2006, 01:28 PM
this CD is definitely NOT the CD of the year.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Ass Cobra
I really liked Name Taken, I can't wait to get this album.

So did I. The album is okay to me, some boring parts. But the guitar parts are pretty cool.

iamthekiller
09-15-2006, 07:38 PM
after hearing the album.... i have to say i'm dissappointed but i really shouldn't have expected a full length just like their first ep...

it's still good. just not great. i'll keep listening....

BNO
09-15-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm suprised by the positive reaction this thing is getting.

BNO
09-15-2006, 10:24 PM
So yeah, this album is pretty damn good. I haven't been able to listen to it loudly because my lil bitch sister complained about the noise, at 12:00 am on a Friday night.

And that ballad really could be huge. Huge cross over appeal.

stayouttamalibu
09-16-2006, 01:43 AM

And that ballad really could be huge. Huge cross over appeal.

for sure, it sounds like a damn boyz to men song.

rawrchadrawr
09-16-2006, 03:37 AM
the album has bored me so far and i dont think the ballad is that great... seems a little too fast. i dont thikn it will hit huge.

BNO
09-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Oh I forgot to mention the real best part of this cd. Only 1 song reaches 4 minutes, and it is exactly 4 minutes. Bands in general should make songs this long, unless you're really fucking good.

Makes for a quick and impressive listen.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh I forgot to mention the real best part of this cd. Only 1 song reaches 4 minutes, and it is exactly 4 minutes. Bands in general should make songs this long, unless you're really fucking good.

I have to disagree. I know we've had long song discussions but bands don't really plan on making long songs, they just start out making one and it develops into something that flows well. You don't just want to stop what you got going.

HaveFunDying
09-16-2006, 01:25 PM

Pretty much all songs that are over 4 minutes could be improved by being under 4 minutes.

I'm looking at you "Stairway to Heaven"

dpg
09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
i'm really liking this album too, even though i didn't have very high hopes.

i agree that the new singer sounds like the guy from name taken. but i'm not sure if that's a good thing, he still sounds a bit like he's ripping off that 'sound' that all the emo bands got going.

i think there are a couple of really forgettable tracks, especially in the 4 or 5 leading up into that ballad (which really is great), but otherwise it's a very solid album.

who are we kidding, as if it's not going to get massive anyway.

stayouttamalibu
09-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
Pretty much all songs that are over 4 minutes could be improved by being under 4 minutes.

I'm looking at you "Stairway to Heaven"

that certainly does not apply to any pre black album metallica.