PDA

View Full Version : I just played with Everclear

The Marc
09-02-2006, 10:21 PM
and holy shit, it was awesome. I mean, I loved their first two cds like no other. Art's snow-cone head was as bright as ever. Highlights included:

-I introduced myself as "Hi, I'm Marc" and he said "I'm old enough to be your dad"
-Hearing them rip through versions of "You Make Me Feel Like a Whore" and "Heroin Girl" in soundcheck with multiple little kids around.
-Hearing new songs that didn't actually suck (new cd out very soon, apparently)
-Having him say I was an awesome keyboardist. Well, I mean, I am.

After already playing with them and Stroke 9, I guess the only bands I have to play with to make the 90's rock fanboy dream come true are Third Eye Blind and Smashing Pumpkins.

HaveFunDying
09-02-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm considering seeing this band later this month in Tulsa. I loved Sparkle and Fade, but I'm pretty skeptical. What band are you in? Or did I misunderstand?

Did Everclear play any of the following songs?:
- Loser Makes Good
- Heroin Girl
- Pale Green Stars
- Sparkle and Fade
- White Men in Black Suits

Also, Stroke 9 isn't horrible, but how could you possibly put them in the same league as 3EB or Smashing Pumpkins?

The Marc
09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I missed a few songs as a result of selling merch, but they definitely played Heroin Girl, White Men In Black Suits, and Sparkle and Fade (which is actually called Summerland). They played So Much For The Afterglow almost in its entirety, but they had a pretty long set time. I'd defintiely check them out; you can tell they've lost a bit, but for me, nothing beats screaming the words to Santa Monica with thousands of other people.

I know Stroke 9 wasn't really essential, but when I was younger, I thought they were. And I play in a band called Bottle of Justus (www.myspace.com/bottleofjustus). We're not punk.

HaveFunDying
09-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Your singer is really good. I wish he wouldn't double track all the vocals though. Do you guys have label interest? It's pretty radio-friendly stuff.

ConzoTheLegacy
09-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
Your singer is really good. I wish he wouldn't double track all the vocals though. Do you guys have label interest? It's pretty radio-friendly stuff.

Agreed. How come you never posted about your band before?

ConzoTheLegacy
09-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Also, who was in that band Snowbeast? I know it was someone from IL and I thought it was you.

Russell
09-03-2006, 11:40 AM
I believe NotYourFuckingClergyMan is in Snowbeast.

The Marc
09-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks, guys! A few years ago, we had label showcases and had some people from Universal and Warner Brothers talk to us, but all of them seem to suggest we're a B+ band in a A+ world. We've got another showcase with Universal (again) this month with DJ Serge from NAS (another blast from the past) helping us out. Really, we do just fine by ourselves to this point, selling close to 20,000 copies in the Midwest and touring pretty frequently.

And I don't like to talk about my band because, really, who ISN'T in a band? But I had to break the silence because playing with Everclear made me giddy.

Fuzzy
09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Have you ever thought about smaller labels? Seems like your sound could get really big with the Pitchfork crowd given the right kind of promotion.

HaveFunDying
09-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
Have you ever thought about smaller labels? Seems like your sound could get really big with the Pitchfork crowd given the right kind of promotion.

The shitty thing about indie labels right now is they are more interested in image than songs. Their band is probably too radio-friendly for a pitchfork label like sub-pop, and they don't dress and sound like complete idiots, so they can't be on victory, vagrant, drive-thru, or equal vision. It just leaves the majors, and the majors are pretty much about smash radio hits. Honestly a band with one "hit" radio song is going to have better luck in the signing process than a band with 12 really good but not radio songs. Unless like I said, your either a pretentious art rock band or Aiden.

Hopefully your band outperforms my band at your showcase.

The Marc
09-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
The shitty thing about indie labels right now is they are more interested in image than songs. Their band is probably too radio-friendly for a pitchfork label like sub-pop, and they don't dress and sound like complete idiots, so they can't be on victory, vagrant, drive-thru, or equal vision. It just leaves the majors, and the majors are pretty much about smash radio hits. Honestly a band with one "hit" radio song is going to have better luck in the signing process than a band with 12 really good but not radio songs. Unless like I said, your either a pretentious art rock band or Aiden.

It's frightenly sad how accurate this is.