PDA

View Full Version : things you'll never understand

BARONE
08-31-2006, 07:12 PM
things i'll never understand:

die hard horror movie fans

i work with one of these clowns. he has a blair witch pin on his messenger bag. yeah...

MikeM
08-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Seriously, I never got the deal with those people, or the fasicnation with zombies. I mean, yea I guess zombies are cool and all, but I'm not going to get an Evil Dead tattoo.

lokithelion
08-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by XxBloodRedXx
things i'll never understand:

die hard horror movie fans

i work with one of these clowns. he has a blair witch pin on his messenger bag. yeah...

Over 70% of the 300 dvd's and VHS I have are horror movies. What don't you understand? I'm more than willing to explain it. Having a blair witch pin is kind of lame, but I've got a bunch of horror movie related t-shirts. Most of them are for b-movies like Blood Feast or Dead Alive but I've got a Battle Royal hoodie on order. I'm totally down to explain anything you're wondering about it.

As for me it would be parents who tell me "My kid has too many books" when I offer to sign their kid up for a free book program. That shit drives me fucking nuts.

Christopher
08-31-2006, 07:25 PM
I've got a Battle Royale shirt and a Serenity shirt. Those are the only movie t-shirt's that I've got.

lokithelion
08-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Christopher
I've got a Battle Royale shirt and a Serenity shirt. Those are the only movie t-shirt's that I've got.

Battle Royale is one of the best movies ever. It's such a brutal response to the state of family in Japan.

monsterriffs
08-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by lokithelion
Battle Royale is one of the best movies ever. It's such a brutal response to the state of family in Japan.

I want a BR shirt badly...and i love Firefly/Serenity. I hope they make a prequel regarding Shepherd Book's backstory, given the rumors that are floating about.

Anchors
08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
People who don't think a Gin & Tonic is God's gift to alcohol.

lokithelion
08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Anchors
People who don't think a Gin & Tonic is God's gift to alcohol.

A-FUCKING-MEN

ConzoTheLegacy
08-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Why people like Panic! At The Disco.

Hollis
08-31-2006, 07:45 PM
gin and tonic.....maybe we will never understand you

MikeM
08-31-2006, 07:45 PM
People who still blindly support this administration.

dpg
08-31-2006, 07:47 PM
why reality tv is still so popular

Christopher
08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
why I get Texas Rangers regional television but not Astros regional coverage. I'm 6 hours from the TX homebase, and 30 minutes from Houston.

BARONE
08-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by dpg
why reality tv is still so popular

ModernDrunk
08-31-2006, 07:59 PM
People who attempt to legitimize sweatshop labor using the argument that "working for $2.00 a day is better than not working at all."

They wouldn't have to be wage slaves if someone didn't force them off the land they had been living on for thousands of years.

BARONE
08-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by lokithelion
Over 70% of the 300 dvd's and VHS I have are horror movies. What don't you understand? I'm more than willing to explain it. Having a blair witch pin is kind of lame, but I've got a bunch of horror movie related t-shirts. Most of them are for b-movies like Blood Feast or Dead Alive but I've got a Battle Royal hoodie on order. I'm totally down to explain anything you're wondering about it.

As for me it would be parents who tell me "My kid has too many books" when I offer to sign their kid up for a free book program. That shit drives me fucking nuts.

i just don't understand whats so entertaining about shitty acting and cheap thrills. I liked horror movies as a kid because when you're a kid they actually have the ability to scare you. Now I just find it hard to derive any entertainment from a movie in which a large aspect of its zeal is scaring the viewer. My suspension of disbelief just doesn't comply with most horror flicks.

lokithelion
08-31-2006, 09:11 PM
i just don't understand whats so entertaining about shitty acting and cheap thrills. I liked horror movies as a kid because when you're a kid they actually have the ability to scare you. Now I just find it hard to derive any entertainment from a movie in which a large aspect of its zeal is scaring the viewer. My suspension of disbelief just doesn't comply with most horror flicks.

That would explain it. I can?t speak for anyone else so I?ll just tell you why I watch horror films and love them so much. Some of them I watch for fun. Much like the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail films like Dead Alive, Cematary Man and Shaun of the Day are funny as hell. The over the top splatter element makes them something to get together with friends, some beers and a bowl of pop corn and laugh your asses off.

Some horror films are enjoyable to me because of the political environment they were created during. As a film buff the history of movies is something that?s always fascinated me. For example Dawn of the Dead, is fascinating commentary on the changes to American society with the introduction of the Shopping Mall, it just happens to have gut munching zombies. Day of the Dead deals with the role of military in people?s lives and fascism in general. Even the original Night of the Living Dead was insanely controversial not just for it?s intense gore, but for it?s black hero and the fate that befalls him. Battle Royal is another one of these politically interesting films. It?s a future in Japan where classes are forced to battle each other to the death do to rising population problems. Hell Class of 1984 was just a dream when it came out, but the concept of students killing teachers in the class room isn?t so out there anymore.

The b-movie grind house flicks like Blood Feast, Attack of the Bee Women, Bloodsucking Freaks, Slime City and Toxic Avenger are pure punk rock film making. People took a few grand and made a movie out of it, not giving a shit about wither they were good or not. They just wanted to make a movie and gave their blood sweat tears (and spunk in the case of Troma) to get their dream out there.

Finally there are flicks like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. I love those movies for their special effects and the pure nalstalgic joy I get from watching them. It takes me back to when I was just a little kid and I snuck downstairs after my folks went to bed to watch shitty slashers on HBO.

Horror doesn?t have to scare you to be enjoyed. You just have to look out them as more than just blood and tits.

i get rad
08-31-2006, 09:14 PM
what he said

ebullientsoul
08-31-2006, 10:01 PM
People who hate ska.

Big_Guy
08-31-2006, 10:09 PM
people who hate Fall Out Boy for reasons other than their live performances

Dude Beer
08-31-2006, 10:09 PM
I just made southern drunk food for my friends here in bahstin: eggs, grits, toast, and sweet tea. kiss my ass honkies.

Dana_Holy_Schit
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Racism/Homophobia

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
08-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ModernDrunk
People who attempt to legitimize sweatshop labor using the argument that "working for $2.00 a day is better than not working at all."

They wouldn't have to be wage slaves if someone didn't force them off the land they had been living on for thousands of years.

People who sit on the internet and complain about things like this instead of getting out and doing something about it.

HaveFunDying
08-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Because ModernDrunk is totally in a position to stop sweatshop labor, if he only he would apply himself.

Big_Guy
08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by HaveFunDying
Because ModernDrunk is totally in a position to stop sweatshop labor, if he only he would apply himself. beat me to it

HaveFunDying
08-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Richard
No, but if we all worked together we could definitely get our own Sweatshop Awareness stage on next year's Warped Tour. Think about it for a second: Scott can easily get us a stage with his AP connections, HFD, Skapunk, and xxbloodxredxx all have bands that can play, Chad is a Warped tour veteran, and Fuzzy can hand out the pamphlets/recruit people.

If you guys are down for this I can mass e-mail a bunch of Victory and Fearless bands asking for an unreleased acoustic song for our Sweatshops Kill comp. We can sell it for 5 bucks and give 100% of the profits to ModernDrunk so he can think of a way to end sweatshops.

Dude's on a roll tonight.

Skapunk
08-31-2006, 10:56 PM
No, but if we all worked together we could definitely get our own Sweatshop Awareness stage on next year's Warped Tour. Think about it for a second: Scott can easily get us a stage with his AP connections, HFD, Skapunk, and xxbloodxredxx all have bands that can play, Chad is a Warped tour veteran, and Fuzzy can hand out the pamphlets/recruit people.

If you guys are down for this I can mass e-mail a bunch of Victory and Fearless bands asking for an unreleased acoustic song for our Sweatshops Kill comp. We can sell it for 5 bucks and give 100% of the profits to ModernDrunk so he can think of a way to end sweatshops. See this is one of those times Richard when your sarcasm is actually witty.

I dont think I'll ever understand how people can be soo blissfully ignorant all the time and when I get riled up on a tangent on things that are going on, they close their ears and try and speak over me like they're 5.

ModernDrunk
08-31-2006, 11:28 PM
I've heard it may only take suprisingly small number of dedicated individuals to take down western civilization.

Sorry, I mean buy everything from American Apparel and send loving kindness to all of those who wield the power and control the resources on this planet and it will all work out!

BARONE
09-01-2006, 04:57 AM

If you guys are down for this I can mass e-mail a bunch of Victory and Fearless bands asking for an unreleased acoustic song for our Sweatshops Kill comp. We can sell it for 5 bucks and give 100% of the profits to ModernDrunk so he can think of a way to end sweatshops.

It must be tough trying to make yourself laugh all the time.

MikeM
09-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Dana_Holy_Schit
Racism/Homophobia
And how homophobia and sexism (I guess even racism to some degree) are still socialy acceptable.

Vesuvium
09-01-2006, 08:30 AM
...why someone would think "but meat tastes good..." is the winning line in any debate on vegetarianism/animal rights (especially one they initiated).

...people with strong religious convictions

...why anyone would choose to live in the kingdom of Denmark

...the fact that idiots, crazies, and liars rule the world

BARONE
09-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Vesuvium

...people with strong religious convictions

i assume you're speaking more of the overzealous religious people and not someone like Mother Teresa.

adam punknews.org
09-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Maybe I'm just too much of a high-brow university snob, but...

I'll never understand people who use the internet solely as a means to forward stupid jokes and "OMG funny movies" to each other. I can't even talk to my some people anymore without someone bringing up some "funny video" that I just HAVE to see. I have go out of my way to tell people that I don't want to be included on their forward lists of net-garbage.

It's like we've got the fucking TRIFORCE OF POWER and the peasants look at it and go "hey! we use this shiny thing as a mirror and make funny faces in it. haw haw haw haw haw"

Simulacra
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by adam punknews.org
Maybe you're just too much of a high-brow university snob

BARONE
09-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Maybe I'm just too much of a high-brow university snob, but...

I'll never understand people who use the internet solely as a means to forward stupid jokes and "OMG funny movies" to each other. I can't even talk to my some people anymore without someone bringing up some "funny video" that I just HAVE to see. I have go out of my way to tell people that I don't want to be included on their forward lists of net-garbage.

It's like we've got the fucking TRIFORCE OF POWER and the peasants look at it and go "hey! we use this shiny thing as a mirror and make funny faces in it. haw haw haw haw haw"
couldn't agree more.

Fuzzy
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by ModernDrunk
I've heard it may only take suprisingly small number of dedicated individuals to take down western civilization.

Sorry, I mean buy everything from American Apparel and send loving kindness to all of those who wield the power and control the resources on this planet and it will all work out!
I really love how if you talk about something on the internet, it means that there's no way possible you could be doing something to actually address the issue.

I don't understand how we let people go without housing and force them into a situation of renting that helps to perpetuate the myth of the "neccessary underclass."

But since I talk about that on the internet, I guess it means I'm not doing anything to help fix the problem (http://www.habitatsf.org).

Fuzzy
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
People who are so biased against religion that they can't see the genuinely great things it has done for the world.

(note: not very religious, am I)

BARONE
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Because ModernDrunk is totally in a position to stop sweatshop labor, if he only he would apply himself.

i dont understand people who thinking wanting to make a change is a silly idea.

Big_Guy
09-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Vesuvium
...why someone would think "but meat tastes good..." is the winning line in any debate on vegetarianism/animal rights (especially one they initiated).It may not be the winning line, but that's usually what it comes down to as to why people choose to eat meat.

ebullientsoul
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM

Viva videogame references!

BNO
09-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Big_Guy
It may not be the winning line, but that's usually what it comes down to as to why people choose to eat meat.

That and I don't give two fucks how many pigs, cows, chickens, lamb, fish whatever get fucked over in their life to give me my meat, I'm a man damnit!

I'll never understand straight edge people.

HaveFunDying
09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
i dont understand people who thinking wanting to make a change is a silly idea.

People who achieve such a strong sense of complacency via the sensationalism of others quotes and actions.

Besides, you guys are just ripping off the sentiment from Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror".

Originally posted by Fuzzy
I really love how if you talk about something on the internet, it means that there's no way possible you could be doing something to actually address the issue.

I don't understand how we let people go without housing and force them into a situation of renting that helps to perpetuate the myth of the "neccessary underclass."

But since I talk about that on the internet, I guess it means I'm not doing anything to help fix the problem.

Nice to know that you equate helping build a house with single-handedly stopping sweatshop labor worldwide. I like to use that analogy too.

I do admire what you do, but once again, complacency. If you wanna flatter yourself, that's fine, but if you have to do it by insulting others, you're probably not the humanitarian that you've envisioned yourself to be.

Fuzzy
09-02-2006, 12:22 AM
People who achieve such a strong sense of complacency via the sensationalism of others quotes and actions.
Same here.
Nice to know that you equate helping build a house with single-handedly stopping sweatshop labor worldwide. I like to use that analogy too.

I do admire what you do, but once again, complacency. If you wanna flatter yourself, that's fine, but if you have to do it by insulting others, you're probably not the humanitarian that you've envisioned yourself to be. [/B]
Dude, drops in a bucket.
I may not be able to fix all the problems that I see, but it's better than saying "one person can't change it, might as well not do anything at all." I'd rather be working towards something that's positive rather than mocking those who are.

Also, I'm not sure where I insulted someone or where I said I was a "humanitarian."

HaveFunDying
09-02-2006, 12:21 PM
...but it's better than saying "one person can't change it, might as well not do anything at all."

See, I never said that though.

Fuzzy
09-02-2006, 08:49 PM
See, I never said that though. Then what the hell were you saying?

HaveFunDying
09-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Then what the hell were you saying?

Basically, I was just poking fun at Scott for insinuating that ModernDrunk should be out stopping sweatshop labor in China. It just seemed like a ridiculous thing to say. In retrospect, I guess I can see the sentiment he was aiming for, but it's still a little silly.

I think George Bush is a horrible president, and I want him out of office. Should I get off my ass and do something about? What am I going to do, assasinate him? Start a petition?

Of course people should try to make changes, but they need to be within reason. I would love to know what ModernDrunk could do to end sweatshop labor.

I do understand what you're saying. If everyone adapted the attitude you've stated, nothing would ever get done.

But come the fuck on.

InaGreendase
09-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Did anyone think for a second Scott might have been indulging in that thing called "sarcasm?"

Fuzzy
09-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by InaGreendase
Did anyone think for a second Scott might have been indulging in that thing called "sarcasm?" Honestly?
No.

HaveFunDying
09-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by InaGreendase
Did anyone think for a second Scott might have been indulging in that thing called "sarcasm?"

Nope.

I'm normally pretty good at picking it up too.