PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly in the sky, I can fly twice as high!

The Marc
08-29-2006, 09:24 PM
I recently started reading for leisure again, and I am not exactly what you call a pro at name dropping. Everyone post books they really really like, and in particular for me anyway, books that are funny, satirical, or just bizarrely interesting.

ModernDrunk
08-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Read Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon. It may seem like a lot to handle the first time through, but just remember it's a comedy.

dpg
08-29-2006, 10:33 PM
joseph heller - catch 22. i think this is exactly what you're looking for. heller and pynchon are pretty similar i think.

gabriel garcia marquez - love in the time of cholera/one hundred years of solitude. this guy writes the purest, most imaginative 'literature' of anyone going around at the moment. seriously awesome.

milan kundera - the unbearable lightness of being. either an entertaining take on relationships or an introduction to existentialism, depending on what you're after.

gregory david roberts - shantaram. somewhat of an autobiographical epic about an ex-drug dealer (who once was australia's most wanted criminal) who escapes to india and works for the mafia, then as acounterfeiter and gun runner to guerilla groups before eventually establishing rehab clinics in the slums. soon to be a movie starring johnny depp.

john kennedy toole - a confederacy of dunces. all americans should read this. set in louisianna. i guess it's a satire in a way.

jeffrey archer - kane and abel. as far as pure narrative goes, this is the most entertaining story i've ever read, about two men born on opposite sides of the world whose lives keep intersecting.

and if you want funny...

dougas adams - hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series. enough said.

The Marc
08-30-2006, 05:39 AM
Well you started off with my favorite book of all time, so I will definitely look into the others. Thanks!

BARONE
08-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Ive been meaning to pick up Palahniuk?s new collection of short stories. I believe it?s called Haunted

Simulacra
08-30-2006, 06:42 AM
A Confederacy Of Dunces

MikeM
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Great thread title.

Check out Haruki Murakami, espeically Kafka on the Shore. Really cool stuff.

Russell
08-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut.

ConzoTheLegacy
08-30-2006, 04:11 PM
The Crucible, for school. hahahaha.

strungoutonlife
08-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Dark Tower series by Stephen King
I Am Charlotte Simmons - Tom Wolfe
Until I Find You - John Irving

MikeM
08-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
The Crucible, for school. hahahaha.
What year are you going into? Sophomore?

musical-monkey
08-30-2006, 07:18 PM
i read Crucible in my junior year

this summer i have read:

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
The House of Sand and Fog

all are highly recommended, especially House of Sand and Fog.

irrationalfilms
08-30-2006, 07:18 PM
I just finished a pretty cool novella called "The Brief & Frightening Reign of Phil" by George Saunders. It was funny.

monsterriffs
08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by musical-monkey
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

fucking AWESOME book. I also need to read Staggering Work...

ModernDrunk
08-30-2006, 10:50 PM
I was talking with a friend who is really into Pynchon and he suggested David Foster Wallace. He even went so far as to call him one of the best living writers. His book Infinite Jest is apparently so crazy (content wise) that he could only get about halfway through.

JimmysTangoMethod
08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Russell
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut.

indeed

I just finished A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. veryyy slow at first but picks up towards the end. all in all 7/10.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
08-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ModernDrunk
I was talking with a friend who is really into Pynchon and he suggested David Foster Wallace. He even went so far as to call him one of the best living writers. His book Infinite Jest is apparently so crazy (content wise) that he could only get about halfway through.

I've gotten through the first 200 or so pages of Infinite Jest a handful of times but can never make it that point. That book is ridiculous. I keep it on my bookshelf simply to make me look smart.

dpg
08-31-2006, 07:53 AM
i've been wanting to check out middlesex for a while, since the virgin suicides is one of my favourite movies and it's almost a word-perfect translation from what i can tell.

i also agree that pynchon is hard to read, fuck. postmodernism. but it's good.

also, anyone who hasn't read nineteen eighty-four, do so at once!

musical-monkey
08-31-2006, 08:51 AM
I tried reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemingway a couple of months back, but I was so bored by like 70 pages in and quit. Is it worth forging on?

My next book is going to be "Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby

RecordTheory
08-31-2006, 09:29 AM
I highly recommend American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

lokithelion
08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by XxBloodRedXx
Ive been meaning to pick up Palahniuk?s new collection of short stories. I believe it?s called Haunted

If you thought any of this other books were evil or fucked up, believe me, this tops them all.

Originally posted by MikeM
Great thread title.

Check out Haruki Murakami, espeically Kafka on the Shore. Really cool stuff.

Agreed

lee
08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
right now I am reading a play called

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

it is pretty good so far

Skapunk
08-31-2006, 03:11 PM
I have two textbooks and a subscription to the economist for my advanced global politics class, does that count, my head may explode by the end of the semester.