PDA

View Full Version : Strike Anywhere - Dead FM

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
08-28-2006, 05:56 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on this record?

Oh, and sorta promo, but you can stream the record at http://www.altpress.com/media if you haven't heard it yet.

jordan pastepunk
08-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm amazed at how fluid the album is and how fast it goes by. It's only 31 minutes in length as it is, but it feels like 15. No complaints out of me, but I wasn't totally blown away either.

MikeM
08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
I like it. Maybe not their best, but still really good.

lokithelion
08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Outside of Change in a Sound I think it's their best work. The poppy edge is perfect , and the lyrics are top shelf.

Big_Guy
08-28-2006, 08:06 PM
It's too "punk" sounding. There's only a couple songs that I would consider comparable to their older work, which I prefer, and The Loved Ones already made a record that is better than this.

InaGreendase
08-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Least best of the 3 LPs, but might sneak into my top 20 still. The poppy edge definitely works, but the second half isn't that memorable.

Big_Guy
08-28-2006, 09:41 PM
this has the worst closing song I have ever heard I think

lokithelion
08-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by InaGreendase
Least best of the 3 LPs, but might sneak into my top 20 still. The poppy edge definitely works, but the second half isn't that memorable.

I love the last half. Shit the chorus on the last song is a winner. "Let me be the last one to grow up numb"

The Marc
08-28-2006, 10:03 PM
I have somehow resisted listening to anything from this, and I am so excited to buy it, it's laughable.

Also, on the subject of fast punk bands, the new Much the Same cd is ridiculously awesome.

Skapunk
08-28-2006, 10:54 PM
I like a few songs a lot more than others and others just pass by. Gunpowder and Allies pack a 1, 2 punch for sure though.

Red Medicine
08-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Is the new Dillinger Four album really only coming out next year?!

Mikey216
08-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Striking Distance > Strike Anywhere

Red Medicine
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Mikey216
Striking Distance > Strike Anywhere

Umm...no. I bought March to Your Grave based on a gleaming review I read at Punknews.org, and it's nothing more than super generic, Bane-ish hardcore. While I've heard plenty of those bands, Strike Anywhere are the only ones who, in my view, can write "enthusiastic" melodic hardcore songs. Must be something in Thomas's voice, but the dude sounds happy when he's singing.

aaaa
08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
i like the new album but still, it's their worst record. i just don't like the poppy sound and the lyrics are flat . anyway, still one of the most interesting hardcore album to come out in 2006. so truly, how poor is the hardcore scene ?

RecordTheory
08-29-2006, 12:18 PM
I'd say this album is on par with Exit English, but still nowhere near how great Change is a Sound and Chorus of One are.

Good stuff. At least I didn't have high hopes this time like I did last time.

RedScare
08-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Man, you all are way off on this new record. I've never liked SA's albums and have only liked one song off each of their previous full lengths. "Three On A Match" and "Infrared" off the last one. I've always liked their message, thought the guys were super cool, but their music never got to me.

This new one blew my doors off and has THE catchiest choruses you're gonna hear all year. It's like they were possessed when they were writing these melodies. I love me some "Oh Calcutta", but this is gonna give that LP a run for it's money as best Fat release of the year.

RecordTheory
08-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by RedScare
Man, you all are way off on this new record. I've never liked SA's albums and have only liked one song off each of their previous full lengths. "Three On A Match" and "Infrared" off the last one. I've always liked their message, thought the guys were super cool, but their music never got to me.

This new one blew my doors off and has THE catchiest choruses you're gonna hear all year. It's like they were possessed when they were writing these melodies. I love me some "Oh Calcutta", but this is gonna give that LP a run for it's money as best Fat release of the year.

You should really give Change is a Sound another shot. In terms of raw musical honesty it's hard to beat.

It also helps if you've been seeing them live since they began (one of the benefits of living near Richmond VA).

But seriously, Refusal, Sunset on 32nd, Detonation, Chalkline... definitely their best album.

aaaa
08-30-2006, 10:00 AM
i have one quick question : I have to interview SA next week but I don't remember one thing . I don't remember which SA's guitar player got a prize from a kind of super model ( Anna Kournikova ?) and for what reason ? please help me, i am planning one funny interview. THANKS

edit : ops, i found it

http://www.jadetree.com/news/article/29/463

holy shit how cute she is

jordan pastepunk
08-30-2006, 11:17 AM

...and she can hit a tennis ball more than 100 mph!

08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
i really like a couple songs but nothing as much as songs from the last 2 records. i love their sound but the whole thing gets very monotonous.. just fast fast fast fast all the time, lacking any changes to signal new songs or parts. and the melodies are good but not catchy.

I love this band like crazy but they just haven't done it for me since Change Is A Sound.

aaaa
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by jordan pastepunk
...and she can hit a tennis ball more than 100 mph!

that is for sure :) LOL :)

ebullientsoul
08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by aaaa
i have one quick question : I have to interview SA next week but I don't remember one thing . I don't remember which SA's guitar player got a prize from a kind of super model ( Anna Kournikova ?) and for what reason ? please help me, i am planning one funny interview. THANKS

edit : ops, i found it

http://www.jadetree.com/news/article/29/463

It was eiether garth or sherwood.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
08-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ebullientsoul
It was eiether garth or sherwood.

Since Jon's not here to call you on it, I will:

Do you even know how to read, son?

Big_Guy
08-30-2006, 04:31 PM