PDA

View Full Version : the first album(s) you ever bought

dpg
08-27-2006, 09:09 PM
what are the first albums you ever bought and what do you think of them now? don't be ashamed, i'm sure we all have some embarrassing albums.

mine was everclear's 'so much for the afterglow' which was nearly 10 years ago and i still love it, seriously good pop-rock album.

the first punk/indie/whatever album i got was 'double plaidinum' by lagwagon about the same time.

i also bought a cranberries album (that one with the yellow case, can't remember what it's called) and hated it so much that i took it back like a week later and swapped it for a hottest 100 compilation.

sorry if this thread has been done before. :P

Big_Guy
08-27-2006, 09:11 PM
The Wallflowers - that one with that song "One Headlight" or whatever. Not a terrible band. I kinda like em.

first "punk" cd was Greenday "Dookie"

and I had I think a Limp Bizkit and Korn album somewhere along the line

Dude Beer
08-27-2006, 09:11 PM
The soundtrack to Mr. Holland's Opus

"I heard they suck live" - NOFX*

*a redneck at my school was like, "what in da hell is Nah-fix?"

adam punknews.org
08-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Weezer's blue album

Dude Beer
08-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Richard
PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

WATCH OUT 4 THE NINJAS!

HaveFunDying
08-27-2006, 09:18 PM
As far as Cassette tapes go, I have no idea, but MxPx's "Life in General" was my first album on CD. My parents wouldn't let me buy albums from secular stores. I think I have like 5 DC Talk albums on cassette.

CoreyPastepunk
08-27-2006, 09:20 PM

Wow, very weird - this was the first album I ever bought as well. I was super into the song "Peaces" when I was like 8 or 9, which sounds kind of weird now knowing what it is about.

The first album I was ever hooked on, however, was Madonna's Immaculate Collection - which my my owned and listened to all the time.

Following that I bought Sugar Ray - Floored, No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom, Hanson - ?, Jock Jams, and the soundtrack to the television show ALL THAT.

My first album of any sort released on an indie label was Full Collapse, and it grew by about 1,000 after that so it has worked out well.

dpg
08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Big_Guy
and I had I think a Limp Bizkit and Korn album somewhere along the line
the sad thing for me is that i actually got into limp bizkit/korn AFTER i had bought albums by lagwagon/strung out. oh the shame.

HaveFunDying
08-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Limp Bizkit and Korn (yeah I had their CD's) are WAY less embarassing than Fallout Boy and Panic! at the Disco.

Fuzzy
08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
First CDs were Spin Doctors - Homebelly Groove (Live!) and Soul Asylum - Grave Dancer's Union.

Cassettes?
First ones that I was like "GOTTA HAVE IT" were probably tied with Van Halen - FUCK, Warrant - Cherry Pie, and some AC/DC album, I'd assume Blow Up Your Video.

All of these are awesome.

monsterriffs
08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
The Breeders - Last Splash

Big_Guy
08-27-2006, 09:41 PM
before I got into punk I bought some great albums methinks

Sublime - Sublime
3EB - s/t
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow, Sparkle and Fade

the first 3 punk bands I got into were Blink, Green Day and Mxpx. then I bought And Out Come The Wolves and So Long And Thanks for All The Shoes and the rest was history

Whipping Boy
08-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Tone Loc- Located after dark... yeah, bitch

Christopher
08-27-2006, 09:58 PM
lagwagon's trashed

then a whoooole lot of compilations.

never had any huge interest in music before my exposure to lagwagon and some epitaph bands.

musical-monkey
08-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I had the Presidents of the USA, Weird Al, and Smashing Pumpkins tapes. I would say the three albums that changed my life would be:
Thursday - "Full Collapse"
Chemical Brothers - "Come With Us"
Weezer - blue
I bought them at teh same time and these albums (mainly the Thursday one) got me into music. I wrote my college admissions essay all about the process of listening to them and discovering new music.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
08-27-2006, 10:02 PM
First cassette, I have no solid memory of (although early entries in my collection were MC Hammer, Nelson and "Weird Al" Yankovic).

First CD I ever got was the Cranberries' Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? for Christmas '93 (the same year I got my first boombox). The first CD I purchased was Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell a few days later.

First punk CD I heard was probably Dookie, but I didn't actually own my own copy for another year or so (bought it for $5 used off my neighbor in 95, maybe?). I remember getting the Offspring's Smash on my 12th birthday in 1994 -- I also got Ace Of Base's The Sign the same day.

Fuzzy
08-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I'd like to actually merge mine and scott's posts.

frighteningly similar.

InaGreendase
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Dookie was definitely the first album I ever owned, which was 1994, but I didn't buy anything for yearrrs. First album I bought on my own was probably Enema of the State around the release date, though somewhere around the time I finally bought Nimrod and Insomniac, so who knows.

bolloxshite
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
Van Halen - FUCK

Excellent album.

I think the first i ever bought has to be something by either AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Thin Lizzy or Van Halen. I couldn't tell you which album but I was big into those bands when i was younger. Of course i still love AC/DC, Thin Lizzy and Van Halen, just don't listen to them as much....kind of got over Bon Jovi, though can't pass up the opportunity to sing Livin' On A Prayer while horribly drunk.

First "punk" album, uh, Blink's Enema of the State and Offspring's Americana. That's kinda where it all started for me, i used to read the thank you's and check out the bands they thanked, then I bought a NOFX album (pump up the Valuum) and it kinda all went from there, you could say i started "late" in the "punk" scene, but i've never looked back...of course i do use "quotation marks" too often.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
Wait, I fibbed -- Smash came out in April '94, my birthday was in March. So I must've gotten that and Ace Of Base on my 13th birthday in 1995.

The Marc
No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom. OOF!!

ConzoTheLegacy
08-27-2006, 10:16 PM
First cd I bought was Blink 182 - Dude Ranch

First "good" CD I remember buying is Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American. I was in 6th grade.

Christopher
08-27-2006, 10:22 PM
dude ranch was good.

mikeyj
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Ghostbusters original soundtrack was the first tape I ever got.

Guns and Roses: Apetite for Destruction was the first tape I ever bought when I was 8. I had it for all of 15 minutes until my mom saw the artwork on the inside and promptly took it away from me.

Christopher
08-27-2006, 10:26 PM
When I was in 7th grade we had a "secret Santa" and I got this super hot 8th grade chick. She was blonde, physically matured, and probably had no idea who I was. Anyway, her list of things she wanted was Blink 182's Dude Ranch, Marcy Playground's hit cd, and like some clothes.

You can guess what I got her.

ummm... a vial of spanish fly?

Token_Black
08-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Mine was Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge and I remember really enjoying it. First "punk" buy was NOFX-So Long and Thanks For All The Shoes.

InaGreendase
08-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ConzoTheLegacy
First cd I bought was Blink 182 - Dude Ranch

First "good" CD I remember buying is Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American. I was in 6th grade.

Dude Ranch > anything Jimmy Eat World's released

P-Fresh
08-27-2006, 10:39 PM
First tapes I ever got were Green Day-Dookie, and Weezer-Weezer.

A year or two later, I got my first cd, which was Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.

First punk rock cd I got was MxPx-Slowly Going The Way Of The Buffalo, and Pennywise-Unknown Road.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by InaGreendase
Dude Ranch > anything Jimmy Eat World's released

I CALL SHENANIGANS!

Skapunk
08-27-2006, 10:49 PM
I bought Goldfinger - S/T with my dads money, the first album I ever bought with my own money was probably punk o rama 5

trinket
08-27-2006, 11:11 PM
first cd was alanis morrisette - jagged little pill in 4th grade.

first punk indie/etc was enema of the state/americana .. followed very soon by something to write home about- get up kids/everything you ever wanted to know about silence - glassjaw / clarity - jimmy eat world

Big_Guy
Originally posted by InaGreendase
Dude Ranch > anything Jimmy Eat World's released true statement

Christopher
I think I bought Punk-o-Rama 2 around the same time as Trashed.

Fuzzy
08-27-2006, 11:13 PM
I really hate to say this, because I know a lot of us are in the same boat...

...but this thread makes me feel old.

P-Fresh
08-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy
I really hate to say this, because I know a lot of us are in the same boat...

...but this thread makes me feel old.

How old are you?

Fuzzy
08-27-2006, 11:27 PM
turned 25 in July.

sethprogression
08-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Cassettes were either Herbie Hancock, Weird Al, The Fat Boys, or New Edition. God I am old.

ModernDrunk
08-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Cassettes: who the fuck knows

CD's: Appetite for Destruction and Decade of Decadence at christmas when I was almost 12 and received my first CD player.

rawrchadrawr
08-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by adam punknews.org
Weezer's blue album

on cassete.

Christopher
08-28-2006, 02:00 AM
I just noticed that this wasn't CD-exclusive.

I used to buy LPs from garage sales. I think I bought Foreigner and the Eagle's Hotel California first.

Biff-Pastepunk
08-28-2006, 02:51 AM
cd: METALLICA - "s/t" (black album) & NIRVANA - "Nevermind" for xmas in 1991.

cassette: BEASTIE BOYS - "pauls boutique"

aaaa
08-28-2006, 04:11 AM
first original cassettes and cd's i ever bought :

iron maiden - live somewhere in england double cassette

iron maiden - fear of the dark cassette

guns n roses - spaghetti incident cassette

green day - dookie cassette ( this is hilarious : I remember i only used cassttes back in 1994 and my cassette player was really old and fucked up. so when i bough dookie, i put it in the player and it ate all of the cassette. i took it back to the shop and said the cassette had a production defect. the guy at the store replaced that cassette with a new one . and the player ate this cassette too. so i had dookie replaced about 5 or 6 times in this shop till the guy got fed up and told me to buy a fucking CD! :) ) .

the offspring - smash cassette

nirvana - in utero and nevermind CD

foo fighters - self titled cassette

rancid - let's go CD

Dana_Holy_Schit
08-28-2006, 05:44 AM
The first cassette I ever bought was Motley Crue-Shout At The Devil.....2 weeks later I bought my first vinyl, Ozzy Osbourne-Bark At The Moon.........

jordan pastepunk
08-28-2006, 08:43 AM
First cassette purchased as a lil' kid: SKID ROW - S/T
First CD in my collection: TLC - Ain't Too Proud To Beg (don't ask..., I didn't buy it)
First CD purchased: PEARL JAM - Ten
First punk record recorded exposure: BAD RELIGION cassette from friend
First punk rock CD: GREEN DAY - Dookie
First mailorder indie CD (compilation): V/A - Punk Sucks
First mailorder indie CD (non-compilation): 88 FINGERS LOUIE Behind Bars

Simulacra
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
1st record ever: possibly Fine Young Cannibals or Madonna

1st CD: Alice In Chains - Dirt

1st scene music: Bad Religion - Generator

lokithelion
08-28-2006, 09:37 AM
I like Jordan's list so I'll copy that shit

First cassette purchased as a lil' kid: Mxpx - Teenage Politics, 90 Pound Wuss - S/T on the same day
First CD in my collection: DC Talk - Free at Last
First CD purchased: Mxpx - Life in General, Descendents - Everything Sucks, Green Day - Dookie using my christmas money
First punk record recorded exposure: Mxpx - Pokinatcha. My dad was a pastor and Tooth and Nail used to send tapes to churches to play for the youths. I was hooked after hearing this.
First punk rock CD: Rancid - Out Come the Wolves, I stole this from my brother every day for two years after school
First mailorder indie CD (compilation): V/A - Hopelessly Devoted too You Vol. 2
First mailorder indie CD (non-compilation): Alkaline Trio - S/T and Larry Arms - Ghost Stories ordered from Asian Man on the same day

jordan pastepunk
08-28-2006, 09:53 AM
First punk record recorded exposure: Mxpx - Pokinatcha. My dad was a pastor and Tooth and Nail used to send tapes to churches to play for the youths. I was hooked after hearing this.

Amazing... I can vouch that not once did I ever hear anything in my synogogue that even remotely resembled punk rock. Usually it was boring Israeli music and even more annoying klezmer music. If only back then that the Ramones were jewish...

trinket
08-28-2006, 10:17 AM
my first cassette was totally TLC.

Anchors
08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Never was down with that cassette bullshit.

First CD ever given - Mighty Ducks 2 soundtrack. Had Queen, Tag Team, and some other awesome shit on there.

First CD bought - Third Eye Blind self-titled. Still an amazing album.

Red Medicine
08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Collective Soul's self-titled album (on tape). It's not that bad.

ebullientsoul
08-28-2006, 10:57 AM
First purchased music of any format: Santana-Supernatural.

Big_Guy
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
My first cassettes were the Encino Man and Batman Forever OSTs

robdobi
08-28-2006, 03:16 PM

i saw them about a year and a half ago when they opened up for the used / taking back sunday (i went for PUSA) and they absolutely KILLED. definitely one of the tightest bands i have ever seen live, no, i'm not joking.

iwilltotallyfuckyouup
08-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by robdobi
i saw them about a year and a half ago when they opened up for the used / taking back sunday (i went for PUSA) and they absolutely KILLED. definitely one of the tightest bands i have ever seen live, no, i'm not joking.

I saw one of their reunion shows in Seattle in 2004, and it was one of the best performances from any band I've ever seen. PUSA fucking rules. I own all their records and a bunch of their singles, too (their B-sides are just as good as anything else).

Slapstick_Kid8
03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
This thread is super old, but it was a topic that I missed out on, so, here are mine.

Cassettes (mind you that this was the 80's through early 90's and most of them were purchased for me)

Debbie Gibson-The one where she's sitting in front of the piano
Paula Abdul-Forever Your Girl
Whitesnake-S/T
Beastie Boys-Pauls Boutique

CD's (In order of purchase)

The Offspring-Smash
Bush- 16 Stone
Alanis Morrisette-Jagged Little Pill
Sheryl Crow-Tuesday Night Music Club
Everclear-Sparkle and Fade

monsterriffs
03-08-2007, 02:55 PM
first tape was like the TMNT2 soundtrack or something.

first CD was Shaq Diesel.

first ROCK cd was The Breeders' Last Splash.

stayouttamalibu
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
unwritten law - blue room
the offspring - smash

The Marc
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
This thread was dead longer than Flipsick.

Too soon?

stfu n00b
03-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by adam punknews.org
Weezer's blue album

Yea I think it was this or Dookie.

stfu n00b
03-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by trinket
my first cassette was totally TLC.

I JUST BOUGHT CRAZYSEXYCOOL again the other day and it is SO RAD.

chunk
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
I had an MC Hammer tape way back when. It ruled. When I was younger (think six) I was stoked on early Beatles (pre-drugs) and lots of classical music.

1997 is when things really got going for me. That year I got MxPx's Life In General, Good Riddance's Comprehensive Guide to Moderne Rebellion, Blink 182's Dude Ranch, and LTJ's Hello Rockview.

rawrchadrawr
03-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by chunk
I had an MC Hammer tape way back when. It ruled.

ryan has probably seen this but when i went to capitol a couple weeks ago i found it amazing that in the lobby of diamond records there were 5 beatles albums, 4 garth brooks albums, one by kenny rogers and "please hammer don't hurt them" by mc hammer.

fábio
03-09-2007, 11:11 AM
RHCP's "Bloodsugarsexmagic" and Alice in Chains' "Facelift" were the first cds I bought. I had all G'n'Rs albums on tape before that, though.

Edit: I was reading this thread from the start now, and now I miss Scott and Biff.

Lalo
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
the first cd i ever bought was blind melon-s/t.

i can still remember when i bought my first two tapes: dookie and bob marley-legend.

my sister gave me bon jovi-keep the faith (cd) for my 7th birthday.