PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys seriously, Sideways?

BNO
08-27-2006, 09:04 PM
The movie. Is it worth getting blown and watching? I neeeed to know.

BARONE
08-27-2006, 09:05 PM
solid flick.

Dude Beer
08-27-2006, 09:09 PM
agreed, watch it

monsterriffs
08-27-2006, 09:34 PM
it's actually funnier on repeat viewings. and how can you not love the line "just think about her cozy little box coming down on your johnson!"

oh, 2000 posts, yay me.

Dude Beer
08-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by bethesdacore
it's actually funnier on repeat viewings. and how can you not love the like "just think about her cozy little box coming down on your johnson!"

oh, 2000 posts, yay me.

congrats, son

bolloxshite
08-27-2006, 09:56 PM
excellent movie, see it.

Christopher
08-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I expected to like it, but I only found myself mildly amused.

InaGreendase
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Gets a lot of hate, but wasn't bad.

InaGreendase
08-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Richard
Wha? Sideways was the #1 independent film and one of the best reviewed movies of the year. I personally didn't like it, but most everyone had love for this quirky, road film.

Yeah, but it seemed like the actual people who went and paid for the movie didn't dig. Just based off people I talked to and message board talk.

PH
08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
it gets better each time you see it. at first it can be embarassing, but once you've seen it, you can fully enjoy it.

sethprogression
08-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I thought it was overrated. It was an ok renter. Not great. Not terrible.

sodajerk
08-28-2006, 12:29 AM
great flick! its an "intellectual film"..probably not a good idea to get wasted the first time watching it. go rent Wet Hot American Summer instead(if you havent seen it)

ModernDrunk
08-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by InaGreendase
Yeah, but it seemed like the actual people who went and paid for the movie didn't dig. Just based off people I talked to and message board talk.

Two sad emo-thumbs down!!

rawrchadrawr
08-28-2006, 01:45 AM
i was definitely not into the characters thus i was annoyed by the movie.

irrationalfilms
08-28-2006, 12:57 PM
I think its an amazing movie. Paul Giamatti is ridiculously good in it, he deserved an Oscar for it. I really like the fact that I find myself relating to the story, which is weird considering I'm not a bald, fat, divorced middle aged drunk (yet).

The cinematography is great, especially in certain places like the "drunk dial" scene. And I particularly like the music. All the free form jazz stuff in the upbeat scenes and the really great tragic music during the more somber moments. It's quality.

I may be biased because I consider the director, Alexander Payne, the 2nd best director working right now (the first being Danny Boyle). I call Payne a "regionalist" director... he does a really amazing job capturing a particular place. Perhaps that's mainly the quality of his location scouts and production designers, but his movies feel "real." The high school in Election was so much more realistic than those found in most high school based movies. About Schmidt did a great job capturing the Midwest without really trivializing or poking fun at it. And it's hard to watch Sideways without wanting to go visit wine country yourself.

But I agree with whoever said rent WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER. That flick is the best movie ever.

BNO
08-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I started watching this movie and then just sorta stopped, I might go back to it but I didn't really get into it. Think I'd rather watch London again.

Simulacra
08-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Irrational Films should post more, drop more movie insights. That's a good point about Alexander Payne.

Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" sounds like it's going to rule ass.

Barry
08-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I enjoyed it. I think a lot of people were expecting it to be really funny, and while it has humor in a few parts, the movie most certainly isn't a comedy.

bolloxshite
08-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Richard

These kind of people annoy me. It is as if they need to prove they got the joke to the rest of the theatre.

My friend does this, he picks out the most obscure, subtle and intelligent joke from an episode of *insert amusing sitcom here* or from a decent movie, or even a book, then proceeds to tell me it is the funniest thing he has ever seen/heard/read. All the while knowing there's a good chance that the joke just went over my head. Sure he's a mate, he's great, but quit rubbing it in my face that you are smarter than me.

That said, i think sideways is great, not cos it's a laugh a minute comedy but just cos it's a really decent film. Sure i loved a few times, but that's not why i love it.